Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are people applying enough force in NOA steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the actual force you need to apply in NOA is different than regular autopilot, but it does appear this way at first; I believe as a result of the nag showing if it hasn't detected force in the last couple of seconds, rather than the last 20-30 seconds.
I would think that if you loosely hold the wheel on a regular drive, it probably takes 5-10 sec for some torque to be detected. Since regular autopilot won't nag you for not detecting torque for 20 sec or so, it is sufficient to avoid any nag during a long drive.
But since NOA looks back, in my opinion, no more than 5 sec ago for any torque event, it is much more likely to show a nag.

Understanding that completely changed my experience with NOA; at first, I would just not use the auto lane changes as I felt I needed to confirm every lane change with a nudge on the wheel. Now, I just loosely hold the wheel and completely ignore nag messages, they will still show at every other lane change, but disappear within a few seconds when normally detecting torque on the wheel; only then can you start enjoying the auto lane changes.

So in summary, if the way you hold the wheel for regular autopilot works fine without any nag, don't change any of it and just ignore the nagging during NOA, it should always clear itself out within a few seconds.

Every time autopilot is engaged, I keep my hand resting at the 7 O'clock position. I have not noticed any change with NOA before or after 2019.8.5. I'm curious, because I know some members have said they don't leave their hand on the wheel, but just adjust something when they get nagged; are those having issues not keeping their hand on the wheel but only applying pressure when nagged? I'm wondering if the pressure requirements changed, and just hanging onto the wheel isn't enough to notice it, but those just giving it a quick tug were exerting more pressure on average and that's now affected.

Has anyone else had this issue..when AP disengages after it doesn’t accept my hand pressure I get a message that says “AP is no longer available on this route”
I can not restart it even on perfect highway conditions until I stop the car and restart my drive again. Is this normal?

It puts you in the penalty box if you ignore the nag for too long.

I have found a (mostly) comfortable way to hold the wheel at 4/5 o' clock that gives just a little downward torque and keeps it happy so no more nagging. The scroll wheel worked for me, but was more distracting. 7 o' clock also works, but my left arm has some torn muscles and that grip aggravates it. Except for opening a drink, I feel more comfortable with my hand on the wheel anyway. It's been strange to feel it swerve in my lane away from a vehicle swerving into my lane, but if it had continued I was ready to grip and take over from autosteer.

That's not true. Pressing the left scroll button will mute/unmute any media you have playing and pressing the right scroll button will activate voice command. Of course, either one will also serve as anti-nag.

I stand corrected. I almost never use the radio so I never noticed the mute was happening. Assumed the right was the same.

I don't recommend it ;), but I've recently taken preference to using my knees as the steering wheel force when on AP/NoA. More specifically, I bring my legs into a more acute position, which works out to where my knees touch the bottom of the steering wheel with just the right amount of force, and I keep both hands on my thighs (with elbows on armrests), which I find a good (and very comfortable) position to quickly grasp the wheel at the 9 and 3 if needed.

I used to do the 7 and 5 position with both hands (palms facing me, like in some of the Tesla promo videos), but I found that if I had to take an evasive maneuver, it was a weird position to safely turn the wheel with (personal preference).

So many creative workarounds! Thanks, guys!

But, with that 7 o'clock position, that's the LEFT hand, right?
I tried that with the RIGHT hand and almost pretzel'd myself.

Yes, the left hand. And I actually looked at what I did this morning on the drive home and for me it's more the 8 o clock position than the 7, but really anywhere in there that you find comfortable will put enough pressure to never get nagged. Unless you're on an extended curve that direction... it's happened I think twice in the 6 months I've had the car. I've learned to just swap hands briefly.

However, I have to say, I always drove one handed in my old ICE car, albeit the other hand on the 2 o clock position. But, because of that, I think it was very easy for me to switch hands and spot on the wheel. Not sure how easy I would find it if I hadn't already been doing something similar.