Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are quality issues with Model Y currently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered the standard range with 7 seat option and am waiting for a delivery email. I wanted to reach out about the the vehicle build quality of the cars coming off the assembly line currently. I read a lot about how the early ones having issues and am curious if that’s still a problem. I have a delivery check list and know my way around cars. Anything I should look out for? Any issues that are instant delivery refusal? What issues are present for recent new owners?

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
- build quality is now much better than 2020, seemed to improve much in q4
- no Tesla specific issues, do a standard inspection
- imo best advice is research where to take delivery from - each local delivery "store" has earned a reputation for how responsive the agents are, how busy, how responsive they are to good faith repairs.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Got my wife's two weeks ago and it's perfect. I went so far as to visit the service center and inspect the car one day before I officially picked it up.

Not complaining at all, but this Model Y is much better than the Model 3 I've had since Sep 2018. It feels noticeably more solid and better put together.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I have been watching the quality issues on Teslas for a while now. I ordered my Model Y Performance and was expecting lots of issues, enough to maybe even decline delivery. Took delivery on Dec 31st, and was shocked it was nearly perfect. Now I shouldn't have to think about nearly perfect for a $75K car but it certainly exceeded my expectation (even in the setting of them pushing out cars to meet the 500K units for 2020). So from my experience, the quality is much improved but clearly they have a long way to go to meet the quality for their price level.

If you are interested in the car, just go ahead and order it. Just my 2c

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If you are interested in the car, just go ahead and order it. Just my 2c
Exactly. One of my best friends thinks I'm absolutely INSANE to buy a car "with known quality issues" from a "company that's going to go bankrupt at any moment" and "leave me with a bricked car that I can't drive".

It's just a car... but it's a car I want. If I have issues (which I hope I don't), I'll deal with them... and if the issues get more than I want to deal with, I'll sell the car and take the loss. It's not like I'm marrying a wild woman whose known to sleep around and have affairs and murder her husbands in their sleep... IT'S JUST A CAR.

Exactly. One of my best friends thinks I'm absolutely INSANE to buy a car "with known quality issues" from a "company that's going to go bankrupt at any moment" and "leave me with a bricked car that I can't drive".

It's just a car... but it's a car I want. If I have issues (which I hope I don't), I'll deal with them... and if the issues get more than I want to deal with, I'll sell the car and take the loss. It's not like I'm marrying a wild woman whose known to sleep around and have affairs and murder her husbands in their sleep... IT'S JUST A CAR.

Your friend sounds like someone who also is scared to use mobile check deposit or a debit card. Get the car you want - you'll enjoy the hell out of it.

How you guys can inspect car inside if its locked and once you unlock car is already yours? In other FB group someone reported car exterior was perfect but door didn`t close properly once he accepted delivery on app. He said he wouldn`t accept delivery if problem was discovered early. His new car is still in service

Exactly. One of my best friends thinks I'm absolutely INSANE to buy a car "with known quality issues" from a "company that's going to go bankrupt at any moment" and "leave me with a bricked car that I can't drive"..

Last I checked GM and Chrysler went through bankruptcy protection 10ish years ago. Tesla, which was in existence during the great recession, is now the most valuable carmaker on earth. Whether you think that value is justified or not, you have to recognize that it gives them the ability to raise capital to fund basically any CapEx project, R&D or operations that they want.

Reactions: DonaldBecker
We picked up our MY LR AWD about 10 days ago. I went in with my "looking for quality issues" game face on and a big checklist. The charge port door alignment was a bit off, which they immediately fixed. There was also a scratch on the plastic panel below the rear bumper, which they said they would replace without any pushing from me. Panel gaps and paint all good, as was the interior, so that was it. I was very pleased.

What I wasn't pleased about was getting home and finding that I couldn't program my garage door opener, as Homelink wasn't included on a $50,000 + car!!!. It's described in the owners manual and every car I've bought in the last 20 years has it as standard. I have had to buy it separately from the Tesla shop. They should have listed it as an option when I specc'd the vehicle so it would have been delivered with it. Otherwise, very happy with the vehicle so far.

Reactions: Rocketir