Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are quality issues with Model Y currently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a MY 7 seater on Monday. There are 5 issues I’m asking to be fixed but only #1 I can’t live with. Overall I felt the car was good quality and I’ve never done a detailed inspection like this before on any vehicle.

1. 60 split second row is very difficult to open for access to third row. It only works about half the time and only when the second row is all the way back which would crush third row passenger legs. The 40 split works ok.
2. for both the 60 and 40 split, the rail end cap won’t stay on
3. Large scratch on Plastic panel in rear seating area. Not easily visible
4. Frunk slight issue with panel gap on one side is a little tight. Was told in spec at delivery but will ask second opinion
5. Rear passenger side door sticks out 2-3mm more than it should.

View attachment 649870
View attachment 649871
Who said it was "in spec?".

What if you told them you want it in writing to be fixed otherwise you will deny delivery?
What options do we have when its EOQ and they could care less and will just pass your vehicle off to someone else? Leaving you without your vehicle for another 10 weeks?

Who said it was "in spec?".

What if you told them you want it in writing to be fixed otherwise you will deny delivery?
What options do we have when its EOQ and they could care less and will just pass your vehicle off to someone else? Leaving you without your vehicle for another 10 weeks?
The delivery person, based on the fact that it’s completely even on all sides. Ultimately I didn’t feel the need to push this one to that point. She did tell me to go ahead and report it for my first service visit, which I scheduled same day. We’ll see what they say next Friday.

It is interesting that I bought a Model S, a Model 3 and now driving a Model Y and had close to zero issues - cosmetic or otherwise. Sure one of the door handles of the Model S was changed and some suspension component was replaced in the 3. For that matter I have looked but not (visually) inspected any new car I have bought over the last 30 years, I have driven them all over 150k miles.

I am sure all my Teslas also had a 30 nanometer difference in left side bumper over the right, and a hairline scratch on the tire, but I am the kind of guy where I don't even see these cosmetic things even if you point them out, or they simply don't bother me. I just enjoy driving.. mostly in Autopilot. I am sure OP's car has issues that should be fixed, but my gut feel says, if I were the one picking up OP's car I would have put 10k miles by now and raked up a few scratches on the doors and bumpers.

Reactions: Wilber and hcsharp
Sorry to hear about your experience. Picked up my MYLR three weeks ago. Haven’t found any flaws yet. My garage door is very narrow, so I may create some... but so far no gaps or anything I’m bummed about. Service center staff were busy but unfailingly polite and helpful and gave me time. Seems like there is a lot of variability. Again, bummed for you.

My LRMY was delivered on 3/14 and had some noticeable gaps and uneven sides. I’m taking it in later this month to see if anything can be done.

Attachments

• 8F48F9C4-75F2-4CCC-8D7C-8111CB0D7571.jpeg
    8F48F9C4-75F2-4CCC-8D7C-8111CB0D7571.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 25A6521F-13CA-4D94-A2D9-B383ED7ECF50.jpeg
    25A6521F-13CA-4D94-A2D9-B383ED7ECF50.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 114
  • EA3FCF8A-99A2-411A-B341-9A4C3609440C.jpeg
    EA3FCF8A-99A2-411A-B341-9A4C3609440C.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 108
Rejected my Y at the end of the quarter due to a number of issues. I'm usually pretty forgiving, but this "new" car looked like it had been through hell. Dealer didn't seem to care at all and basically shoved me out the door.

Reactions: InternetDude