Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are quality issues with Model Y currently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our MY LR AWD about 10 days ago. I went in with my "looking for quality issues" game face on and a big checklist. The charge port door alignment was a bit off, which they immediately fixed. There was also a scratch on the plastic panel below the rear bumper, which they said they would replace without any pushing from me. Panel gaps and paint all good, as was the interior, so that was it. I was very pleased.

What I wasn't pleased about was getting home and finding that I couldn't program my garage door opener, as Homelink wasn't included on a $50,000 + car!!!. It's described in the owners manual and every car I've bought in the last 20 years has it as standard. I have had to buy it separately from the Tesla shop. They should have listed it as an option when I specc'd the vehicle so it would have been delivered with it. Otherwise, very happy with the vehicle so far.
Sounds like a successful delivery! I tend to be a bit of a picky hardass when it comes to quality issues but my only deal breakers are going to be major door or panel fitment. Like, I'm not taking a car where the doors don't close consistently. But...little things like scratched trim, etc.? No prob. I'll document it and ask them to replace and happily drive home.

Also, AMEN ON THE HOMELINK. I have to find my old garage door opener I guess. I hear there's rumors that there will be native support for wifi enabled openers (which mine is). Not sure if that's included yet...

What I wasn't pleased about was getting home and finding that I couldn't program my garage door opener, as Homelink wasn't included on a $50,000 + car!!!. It's described in the owners manual and every car I've bought in the last 20 years has it as standard. I have had to buy it separately from the Tesla shop. They should have listed it as an option when I specc'd the vehicle so it would have been delivered with it. Otherwise, very happy with the vehicle so far.
You need to consider how the math pans out. For the Model Y, there are 3 different trim levels, 5 different paint colors, 2 different wheels (for non-performance), 2 different interior colors, and 2 different hitch options (yes or no). That alone makes for 2 x 5 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 80 different non-performance combinations, and 5 x 2 x 2 = 20 performance combinations, for a total of 100 unique build configurations. Adding another binary option (e.g. Homelink) would increase it to 200 unique build configurations.

The more build configurations there are, the less likely it is that a build configuration can be found to match your order. That increases the likelihood that your car has to be custom built on the assembly line, meaning a longer wait for your car. It also makes it increasingly likely Tesla might have trouble finding someone to match up your custom configuration to someone else if you back out of your deal, meaning they have to store the car somewhere.

For an option that has to be built as you want it in the factory, there is no other option but to have it set up that way in the factory. But for something that can be easily added later, it makes much more sense to add it after delivery.

Some of this stuff will become easier once Tesla delivery infrastructure grows to be able to handle their volume. But for now, their infrastructure is lagging behind their growth and probably will for the foreseeable future (at least another 3 years, considering the Cybertruck).

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
You need to consider how the math pans out. For the Model Y, there are 3 different trim levels, 5 different paint colors, 2 different wheels (for non-performance), 2 different interior colors, and 2 different hitch options (yes or no). That alone makes for 2 x 5 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 80 different non-performance combinations, and 5 x 2 x 2 = 20 performance combinations, for a total of 100 unique build configurations. Adding another binary option (e.g. Homelink) would increase it to 200 unique build configurations.

The more build configurations there are, the less likely it is that a build configuration can be found to match your order. That increases the likelihood that your car has to be custom built on the assembly line, meaning a longer wait for your car. It also makes it increasingly likely Tesla might have trouble finding someone to match up your custom configuration to someone else if you back out of your deal, meaning they have to store the car somewhere.

For an option that has to be built as you want it in the factory, there is no other option but to have it set up that way in the factory. But for something that can be easily added later, it makes much more sense to add it after delivery.

Some of this stuff will become easier once Tesla delivery infrastructure grows to be able to handle their volume. But for now, their infrastructure is lagging behind their growth and probably will for the foreseeable future (at least another 3 years, considering the Cybertruck).

Easy fix... include Homelink in every vehicle as a standard feature. With their constant work in reducing costs ($/KWH, manufacturing efficiencies, going to mega castings, etc.), this $300 option, which costs them WAY less, can be easily added with little to no net effect on profit. This is one of those "no duh" features that even $25k cars have.

Easy fix... include Homelink in every vehicle as a standard feature. With their constant work in reducing costs ($/KWH, manufacturing efficiencies, going to mega castings, etc.), this $300 option, which costs them WAY less, can be easily added with little to no net effect on profit. This is one of those "no duh" features that even $25k cars have.
Actually, it does not cost them "WAY less" because Homelink is a third-party licensed product. Including this would mean that everyone would have to pay for it, even if they do not need it.

• Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Actually, it does not cost them "WAY less" because Homelink is a third-party licensed product. Including this would mean that everyone would have to pay for it, even if they do not need it.
Oh, you mean like virtually every other comparable car on the planet? If we are going to start picking and choosing features simply because everyone may not use it, we're in big trouble.

Posting from another thread:
Had a smooth M3 trade in/MY pick up on Saturday, Feb 6 for VIN 100-. It has all the features people are mentioning and none of the ones that no one says they have. The only real issue was dark finger marks on the white seats.

I’m trying to imagine what goes through the head of the person with black "shmutz" on their hands reaching around and touching different parts of the white seats in a brand new MY. I think I was able to remove most of it and protect the seats with Optimum Protectant Plus.

Other than that it’s been great. Unfortunately I haven’t really had the chance to drive it much but I already installed the Tesla splash guards and I also plan to install the rear door PPF they sell sometime this week. I hope the fact that it’s quite cold out won’t make that much of a difference.

I have to admit all this time sitting and waiting for my 7-seater arrival has me reading too many of these forum posts about issues. Starting to get a bit anxious myself.

Most concerning to me is the heater situation which seems like it's more on the recent end of the rollout spectrum. It's less about the fact of loosing heat suddenly but more with the defrost in-turn not eliminating ice on the windshield while driving. Anyone in cold weather knows this can happen suddenly with splash up and is impossible to see. Terrifying on the highway.

And then there's the ear pressure thing? WTH is that?!?!

Reactions: Jemblue7my
88xxx, picked up Dec 26. Now at 2200 miles, no rattles, squeaks. Body panels fit perfectly, interior flawless. Excellent paint, shop who did the ceramic for me thought it was the best Tesla paint he's seen (red)

Noticed unusual mvmt in the steering wheel/column last week. Visited the SC yesterday to make an appointment (close by, prefer talking to a human), squeezed me in this AM, diagnosed the issue, ordered the part. Will re-visit to have the part installed in 10 days or so (related to the electric steering wheel adjustability mechanism)

Very pleased with the car.

For those that haven't ordered Homelink. They send you a box that states that installation is voided if you open it. The box is so light that one might wonder if it actually contains anything. Perhaps it is just a code to activate via software. I was curious as to what was inside. If they're concerned about licensing costs then they could just sell a software update.
IMG_0555.jpeg

For those that haven't ordered Homelink. They send you a box that states that installation is voided if you open it. The box is so light that one might wonder if it actually contains anything. Perhaps it is just a code to activate via software. I was curious as to what was inside. If they're concerned about licensing costs then they could just sell a software update.View attachment 635538
wait did you take an xray of you box?? lol thats a cool way to find out what you got for christmas

Reactions: acacia

My 2018 M3 LR came with home link and I know they took it out and added as an aftermarket option later on. But this is still a relatively easy part to install whether at the factory or at service center. It would save them time overall if they send them to SC directly instead of having to send to us then bringing back to SC for installation since this is not DIY. Or as many have said before if one is willing to shell out for a LR model this could have been a standard option. I will have to make sure I get this ordered before taking delivery then.

For those that haven't ordered Homelink. They send you a box that states that installation is voided if you open it. The box is so light that one might wonder if it actually contains anything. Perhaps it is just a code to activate via software. I was curious as to what was inside. If they're concerned about licensing costs then they could just sell a software update.View attachment 635538
IFL this! Way to put that X-ray machine to good use!!!!

Exactly. One of my best friends thinks I'm absolutely INSANE to buy a car "with known quality issues" from a "company that's going to go bankrupt at any moment" and "leave me with a bricked car that I can't drive".

It's just a car... but it's a car I want. If I have issues (which I hope I don't), I'll deal with them... and if the issues get more than I want to deal with, I'll sell the car and take the loss. It's not like I'm marrying a wild woman whose known to sleep around and have affairs and murder her husbands in their sleep... IT'S JUST A CAR.
Your friend is way behind in the news. Tesla has billions of dollars in the bank and getting more every day. And they have made strides in eliminating quality issues. At this point the only reason to wait is for coming upgrades such as the HEPA filter, minor interior changes or, eventually the 4680 batteries.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
I live in SW Montana and the nearest Tesla delivery center/technician location is 6 hrs away in Salt Lake. We do have access to mobile service techs who come to where I live once/mo from Boise, ID. I'm currently waiting for a VIN but should take delivery in the next month or so. I would like to put some PPF on the car and my detail guy recommends doing this ASAP after taking delivery as the less small nicks and chips the better the result. I have a blue Y ordered. My question is the cost/benefit of taking delivery in Salt Lake City with the option of looking the car over with someone from Tesla vs having Tesla ship the car to me in Montana and taking or rejecting delivery with whomever the delivery person is (I don't think its a Tesla employee but rather someone that works for a contracted delivery company and just drives the semi). On one hand If I take delivery in SLC I'll have the option to reject delivery with the guidance of someone from Tesla who can advise me on what can and cannot be addressed my a mobile tech. But the downside of this option is driving the car hundreds of miles on the interstate in winter and potentially damaging the paint before getting PPF. If I take delivery in Montana then the PPF goes on quick but I'll only have the delivery guy to help me with and build issues. Anyone have any experience with this situation or advice? Thanks!

I live in SW Montana and the nearest Tesla delivery center/technician location is 6 hrs away in Salt Lake. We do have access to mobile service techs who come to where I live once/mo from Boise, ID. I'm currently waiting for a VIN but should take delivery in the next month or so. I would like to put some PPF on the car and my detail guy recommends doing this ASAP after taking delivery as the less small nicks and chips the better the result. I have a blue Y ordered. My question is the cost/benefit of taking delivery in Salt Lake City with the option of looking the car over with someone from Tesla vs having Tesla ship the car to me in Montana and taking or rejecting delivery with whomever the delivery person is (I don't think its a Tesla employee but rather someone that works for a contracted delivery company and just drives the semi). On one hand If I take delivery in SLC I'll have the option to reject delivery with the guidance of someone from Tesla who can advise me on what can and cannot be addressed my a mobile tech. But the downside of this option is driving the car hundreds of miles on the interstate in winter and potentially damaging the paint before getting PPF. If I take delivery in Montana then the PPF goes on quick but I'll only have the delivery guy to help me with and build issues. Anyone have any experience with this situation or advice? Thanks!
If I was you I would inquire more before installing PPF right away. I was reading online that it is recommended to wait 30 days before installing PPF. The paint still emits gases while it is curing and covering the paint with PPF before the paint cures can damage the paint.
As far as your question on delivery. I personally would rather take delivery at home. Make sure you take videos the second the car gets delivered. Document everything with pictures right there and then. If the car ends up being too messed up then I am guessing there are “lemon” laws that protect you in the state of Montana. In my opinion, driving 6 hours on the interstate runs you a higher risk of road rash, on a paint that hasn't cured yet.