Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are referral code miles calculated?

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
I used a referral code to order my MY. So I get 1000 miles added to my Loot box in the app. I then went to a Supercharger and added 287 miles by my math. Later the Loot box shows 873 miles remaining. 1000-873=127

How does Tesla compute the referral miles used?

Reactions: shingles

DaveORD

Mar 12, 2020
Chicagoland
You will see different credits based on how you look - in the app vs web site account page. I think 400 kWhrs is what you actually get. The miles verify will never match up, but check your balance in the other method for kWhrs, I forget which one shows kWhr, and it should match up.

Reactions: TravelFree

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
What is needed to get the free Supercharger miles to show up on the app and in the Tesla account? Someone on TMC used my referral code, their Model Y was delivered at the beginning of May '21. My Loot Box just shows their first name and the vehicle status as Delivered. Neither of us have seen the free Supercharger miles show up in our account.

This morning I charged at a nearby Urban Supercharger (SC), my first time using a SC, hoping that using the SC might sync my Tesla account with my Model Y and the free SC miles might appear. The SC experience was flawless, charged for 5 minutes and added 3kWh to the Model Y's battery. This charging session showed up in my Tesla account (was billed $0.78 including 6% sales tax.) Still no sign of the free SC miles.

Last edited:

AlexHung

Mar 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
What is needed to get the free Supercharger miles to show up on the app and in the Tesla account? Someone on TMC used my referral code, their Model Y was delivered at the beginning of May '21. My Loot Box just shows their first name and the vehicle status as Delivered. Neither of us have seen the free Supercharger miles show up in our account.
I don't recall which states but I think there are a few states where local laws prohibit the referral miles going to the referrer, only the referee. Perhaps MD is one of those?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I don't recall which states but I think there are a few states where local laws prohibit the referral miles going to the referrer, only the referee. Perhaps MD is one of those?
Virginia is one of the states where local laws prohibit the referral credits, free SC miles but I have never read that my home state of Maryland is one of these states.

Reactions: F123456

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I don't have a SA (my Model Y was delivered last June.) The other party took delivery of a Model Y a month ago is just as much in the dark as why they have not seen the free SC miles show up.

AlexHung

Mar 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
I don't have a SA (my Model Y was delivered last June.) The other party took delivery of a Model Y a month ago is just as much in the dark as why they have not seen the free SC miles show up.
Contact your local Service Center? I contacted mine for a DMV issue and they sorted it out for me. I'm sure they can find out the reason for the referral credit.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I don't believe that either of us violated the rules of the referral program. As far as Tesla changing the terms and conditions of the referral program I was informed earlier, on a different forum, that until Tesla announces the new referral program that Tesla owners should continue to receive referral credits / free SC miles under the old program.

I will follow up with the other party. They informed me that they have contacted Tesla via email and are awaiting a response.

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
You will see different credits based on how you look - in the app vs web site account page. I think 400 kWhrs is what you actually get. The miles verify will never match up, but check your balance in the other method for kWhrs, I forget which one shows kWhr, and it should match up.
Thanks! I will look into that and see. I never saw a reference to 400KWH but it seems that is a much better way.

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
I could not find a reference to my question in the Tesla web site or the app details.

However I see I'm not alone on this. Here's a YT video where a guy sis his own comparison as I did. Not official but does corroborate my observation.

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
The Tesla official rules for the program states that you must initiate your Tesla order with the referral link for both parties to receive credit. It cannot be added after you place the order by a SA.

In my case the loot box was not populated with 1000miles until about 3 days after I took delivery. So it does take some time to show up. Plus they do expire in 6 months. The expiration date is exactly 6 months to the day from my delivery.

DaveORD

Mar 12, 2020
Chicagoland
Problem is how do you map kWhr to actual miles? We all have different driving styles and different efficiency rates. You could be driving very little, just hard launches and a short commute, playing video games, watching Netfix, AC or heat on, sentry mode active at night, and travel very little miles out of that fully charged battery. Or you could be doing the opposite and hyper-miling it. Kind of like a traditional ICE car having a promotion for 1000 free miles, which equals how much gas? All depends on how you drive it, right? Winter vs summer, etc... So instead the ICE promotion would be XX gallons of gas for free or a gas card good for XX dollars. Tesla is doing the same thing, instead of dollars or miles, you are getting their equivalent = kWhrs.

As for how they ended up giving you the # of kWhrs that they did, I assume Tesla looked at the vast history they have on their cars, and figured out some average consumption across the various models and driving habits and came up with the number of kWhr they think should get you at least 1000 miles under most normal driving scenarios. If you have a heavy foot, driving winter time, pre-conditioning, etc. then perhaps you will get less than 1000 miles from that energy. Or if you take it easy, minimal losses for speeding, sentry mode, etc. then you get a lot more than 1000 miles.

Don't over think it. Enjoy the free energy while you can...

shingles

Feb 23, 2021
Texas, USA
I suspect it's using the rated wh/mi to calculate the miles. So amount of kwh put in / rated wh/mi = miles "used". That seems to be the only way to do it "fairly". Tesla isn't all that transparent about it. When I look at supercharging history on my account, the free ones don't show much of any information. Even the stuff I download just shows me minutes charged, nothing else.

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
North East Arkansas
I could not find a reference to my question in the Tesla web site or the app details.

However I see I'm not alone on this. Here's a YT video where a guy sis his own comparison as I did. Not official but does corroborate my observation.

Superchargers don't measure energy in miles, they measure it in kWh. Using this guys experience, and doing some math it looks like they give us 200 kWh of energy. Worst case scenerio is a Model X performance, getting close to 400 wh/mile so they (Tesla) did the 400 wh/mile math and settled on 200 kWh = 500 miles. It is much simpler for Tesla to give everyone 200 kWh of energy rather than giving that Model X owner 200 kWh of energy and the guy who used his referral code on a Y 135 kWh of energy... so they just give everyone 200 kWh. If you only use supercharging on long trips at highway speeds (300 to 400 wh/mile) you will get between 500 and 660 miles of supercharging from a 500 mile referral code. If you use it for local driving where you are getting 200 to 250 wh/mile you will get 800 to 1000 miles of supercharging from your 500 mile referral code.

Keith

Last edited:

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
Since Tesla doesn't reference referrals in free KWH's I also did my own math with the data from TeslaFi. My wife's driving habits being a much lower average than someone who drives mostly highway speeds and little regen braking, I came up with the referral benefit of averaging 1570 real world miles. I'll continue to track it with several Supercharges. Thing is her driving pattern is fairly consistent. Tesla free miles is obviously based on some sort of average from the fleet.

I'll have to see after several free Supercharges if the ratio changes or is a constant. TeslaFi logging is going to help me know what Tesla is doing. I may take the Y out for a long drive at highway speeds to see if there is a big different in what the credit is. Say I run the wh /mile up to 350 and see if they don't give me the same real world miles.

Last edited:

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
North East Arkansas
Superchargers don't measure energy in miles, they measure it in kWh. Using this guys experience, and doing some math it looks like they give us 200 kWh of energy. Worst case scenerio is a Model X performance, getting close to 400 wh/mile so they (Tesla) did the 400 wh/mile math and settled on 200 kWh = 500 miles. It is much simpler for Tesla to give everyone 200 kWh of energy rather than giving that Model X owner 200 kWh of energy and the guy who used his referral code on a Y 135 kWh of energy... so they just give everyone 200 kWh. If you only use supercharging on long trips at highway speeds (300 to 400 wh/mile) you will get between 500 and 660 miles of supercharging from a 500 mile referral code. If you use it for local driving where you are getting 200 to 250 wh/mile you will get 800 to 1000 miles of supercharging from your 500 mile referral code.

Keith

Replying to myself here because too late to edit. Why was I thinking 500 miles of free Supercharging? Pretty sure it was 1000 miles when I ordered my MY! All that does is change the 200 kWh to 400 kWh... everything else is pretty much the same as I said, just doubled :)

Keith

Reactions: TravelFree

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
My guess is that Tesla marketing gurus overruled the engineers and said nobody thinks in free KWHs so lets just call it free miles. As long as everyone gets more miles than 1000 nobody complains. :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC