Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are referral code miles calculated?

dolfs

Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2021
Mountain View, CA, USA
My guess is that Tesla marketing gurus overruled the engineers and said nobody thinks in free KWHs so lets just call it free miles. As long as everyone gets more miles than 1000 nobody complains. :)
I just finally used up my initial 1,000 mi from purchase. I was tracking everything in Teslafi (except for one super charge, which I will equate to 5 kWh). I can see I got a little over 405 kWh for those uncharged miles. My consumption was approximately at 285 Wh/mi (lots of 80 mph interstate driving) which means that, effectively, I got a little more than 1,400 mi.

If this was supposed to be 1,000 mi, the assumption must have been 400 Wh/mi.

Reactions: TravelFree

dolfs

Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2021
Mountain View, CA, USA
I just finally used up my initial 1,000 mi from purchase. I was tracking everything in Teslafi (except for one super charge, which I will equate to 5 kWh). I can see I got a little over 405 kWh for those uncharged miles. My consumption was approximately at 285 Wh/mi (lots of 80 mph interstate driving) which means that, effectively, I got a little more than 1,400 mi.

If this was supposed to be 1,000 mi, the assumption must have been 400 Wh/mi.
As an aside, I have been mostly using a free charging situation at other times (once a week to 90% or 95% before trips), and with 2,890 mi on the clock I have now paid $30.00 in charging costs total, or $0.01/mi :) . If the SC had not been free, that would have added approx $120, resulting in $0.05/mi.

Reactions: TravelFree

CapsEngineer

Nov 28, 2020
Maryland
Virginia is one of the states where local laws prohibit the referral credits, free SC miles but I have never read that my home state of Maryland is one of these states.

Can confirm that Maryland does not prohibit the credits. Used the referral link from someone I work with we both received the credits.

F123456

May 3, 2016
NoVA
Virginia is one of the states where local laws prohibit the referral credits, free SC miles but I have never read that my home state of Maryland is one of these states.
Thank you! I’m in VA & was wondering where mine were from a referral who picked up a few days ago.

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
I was told you can use the referral code from someone out of state like me in FL. but I would get the free electricity and you would get the entries into the drawings for a free Roadster. So everyone should use the codes even if you are in Ohio or Virginia.

Some time back Tesla would give customers $1000 for a referral but they had to stop that program because it was deemed illegal, stating it made customers paid salesmen. So the program was changed to free electricity from their Superchargers.

Hexo09

Mar 8, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Speaking of free supercharger miles, something weird happened to mine. I received my car on 1/22/21 and they came up right away showing they would expire on 7/22. Then a friend used my link and received the car on 3/14. My 1000 miles were added, cumulative to 2000, but now they show expiring on 1/22/22... I found it a little odd. Is there somewhere that shows exactly when each referral expires, or is it just a no-transparency type of thing, like so many others? I have another friend who used my link set to get his car in the next few weeks, so I’ll see what happens then.

TravelFree

Mar 23, 2020
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm guessing your second one will show expiration after you use your first miles balance up or it expires unused. With all your referrals, I hope you are using them with lots of driving. Some here will try to scare you to not use Supercharger claiming it will ruin your battery. Just enjoy your benefit and rest assured Tesla does not agree that Supercharging ruins the battery. Congratulations.

Hexo09

Mar 8, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Thanks! I am doing a 1000+ mile road trip next week, so that should take care of my first set expiring on 7/22. I just wonder if at that point the remaining miles will revert back to 6 months after my friend got his (9/14/21) or stay at 1/22/22...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC