Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are referral code miles calculated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that Tesla marketing gurus overruled the engineers and said nobody thinks in free KWHs so lets just call it free miles. As long as everyone gets more miles than 1000 nobody complains. :)
I just finally used up my initial 1,000 mi from purchase. I was tracking everything in Teslafi (except for one super charge, which I will equate to 5 kWh). I can see I got a little over 405 kWh for those uncharged miles. My consumption was approximately at 285 Wh/mi (lots of 80 mph interstate driving) which means that, effectively, I got a little more than 1,400 mi.

If this was supposed to be 1,000 mi, the assumption must have been 400 Wh/mi.

Reactions: TravelFree
I just finally used up my initial 1,000 mi from purchase. I was tracking everything in Teslafi (except for one super charge, which I will equate to 5 kWh). I can see I got a little over 405 kWh for those uncharged miles. My consumption was approximately at 285 Wh/mi (lots of 80 mph interstate driving) which means that, effectively, I got a little more than 1,400 mi.

If this was supposed to be 1,000 mi, the assumption must have been 400 Wh/mi.
As an aside, I have been mostly using a free charging situation at other times (once a week to 90% or 95% before trips), and with 2,890 mi on the clock I have now paid $30.00 in charging costs total, or $0.01/mi :) . If the SC had not been free, that would have added approx $120, resulting in $0.05/mi.

Reactions: TravelFree
I was told you can use the referral code from someone out of state like me in FL. but I would get the free electricity and you would get the entries into the drawings for a free Roadster. So everyone should use the codes even if you are in Ohio or Virginia.

Some time back Tesla would give customers $1000 for a referral but they had to stop that program because it was deemed illegal, stating it made customers paid salesmen. So the program was changed to free electricity from their Superchargers.

Speaking of free supercharger miles, something weird happened to mine. I received my car on 1/22/21 and they came up right away showing they would expire on 7/22. Then a friend used my link and received the car on 3/14. My 1000 miles were added, cumulative to 2000, but now they show expiring on 1/22/22... I found it a little odd. Is there somewhere that shows exactly when each referral expires, or is it just a no-transparency type of thing, like so many others? I have another friend who used my link set to get his car in the next few weeks, so I’ll see what happens then.

I'm guessing your second one will show expiration after you use your first miles balance up or it expires unused. With all your referrals, I hope you are using them with lots of driving. Some here will try to scare you to not use Supercharger claiming it will ruin your battery. Just enjoy your benefit and rest assured Tesla does not agree that Supercharging ruins the battery. Congratulations.

Thanks! I am doing a 1000+ mile road trip next week, so that should take care of my first set expiring on 7/22. I just wonder if at that point the remaining miles will revert back to 6 months after my friend got his (9/14/21) or stay at 1/22/22...

Superchargers don't measure energy in miles, they measure it in kWh. Using this guys experience, and doing some math it looks like they give us 200 kWh of energy. Worst case scenerio is a Model X performance, getting close to 400 wh/mile so they (Tesla) did the 400 wh/mile math and settled on 200 kWh = 500 miles. It is much simpler for Tesla to give everyone 200 kWh of energy rather than giving that Model X owner 200 kWh of energy and the guy who used his referral code on a Y 135 kWh of energy... so they just give everyone 200 kWh. If you only use supercharging on long trips at highway speeds (300 to 400 wh/mile) you will get between 500 and 660 miles of supercharging from a 500 mile referral code. If you use it for local driving where you are getting 200 to 250 wh/mile you will get 800 to 1000 miles of supercharging from your 500 mile referral code.

Keith

Finished up using my referral code miles while on vacation, and using teslafi (not 100% accurate) I "used" (amount of power from Supercharger) 388.59 kWh, and "added" (amount of power that made it into the battery) 347.12 kWh while using up 1002 free miles (no idea where the 2 came from) Looking at the charging history, I was deducted 40 of those 1002 miles when I plugged into a supercharger that wasn't working correctly (slow charge rate with no-one sharing the power) and immediately unplugged to move to a different one... taking that away, and doing the math * it looks like 1000 "free miles" would actually be 400 "used" kWh of power provided by the Supercharger.

Keith

PS: I think I already corrected my mistake between 500 free miles and 1000 in a different reply didn't I?

PPS: My average supercharging on my vacation was around 25 cents per kWh, so value of the referral was $100

* (the math) 1002 - 40 = 962 962 / 388.59 = 2.48 1000/2.48=403 => aprox 400 kWh

Reactions: kishkaru
My model Y SC free miles were all used locally. I kept track of it and drove 1555 miles for free before depleting the 1000 referral miles. During that driving we averaged 250 wh/mile or 4 miles per KWH. 1555 / 4 = 388.75KWH. Locally, our SC bills at a rate of $.29 per KWH including the tax. Or $112.74 benefit.

Being that our M Y is strictly for local driving I charge at home which is at a rate of $.11 / KWH including all the power company fees and taxes. We have no TOD charging rates. Using that number- the benefit value is $42.76

I drive my M S on road trips but it has free for life SC so I never see what the cost is at each SC location.

If it hasn't been said: I drove a 100D with 1000 free miles close to 1000miles. ABetterRoutePlanner calculated the charging on the route at $65 dollars. So in my mind that is about what the 1000 free miles are worth.
I suppose that can add up and be significant for some. To me (fortunately) it's not worth worrying about. It's still cheaper than gas and much more fun!

How so? If you took delivery then you should see the referral miles in the loot box in the Tesla app. (In the latest version of the Tesla app the Loot Box has been moved under the user profile.)
I simply meant the referral code MUST be applied to your order BEFORE delivery. However everyone, including Tesla, says it is impossible to apply a referral code after the car is delivered. I simply asked if I could possibly check to make sure the SA did what they said they would. So, it is the old "catch 22", you can't see if the referral code was applied until delivery and after delivery it is impossible to correct. One person has suggested asking my friend to see if they had gotten the 1,000 miles in their loot box. However several comments on this site suggest they too are not given until delivery.
I'm back to trusting my Tesla SA. But, I appreciate the responses, Michael