Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are solar roof connections run?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
For a solar roof installation on a roof with multiple sections, how are the wires from each section run to the inverter? The person doing my site survey on Saturday said a conduit would run around under the eaves from the biggest south-facing section
(marked 'A' on this diagram) to the electrical equipment that will be on the north wall near the main service panel. Then I asked whether there would be conduits running all the way around the house to bring in the connections from all the roof sections and he said no, he thought connections could run along ridge lines. But he also cautioned that he did not know the details of how the installation work was done. I want to avoid having conduit installed under the eaves.

I have existing solar panels covering section A that will be removed when the solar roof is installed. The wiring from those panels goes through a 2" conduit with a junction box entry point above the roof surface at the spot marked with a red dot. That conduit is routed inside the attic and exits under the eave near the main service panel where the existing inverter and batteries are located. If the wiring can be routed along the ridge lines then it shouldn't be too hard to adapt the existing conduit to take in all the wires at the nearby end of that main ridge line. My existing wood shake roof and its skip sheathing all need to be torn off which would allow easy access to the attic. The only problem is that conduit adaptation needs to be done during the tear-off phase rather than the install phase.

In another thread @jboy210 said, "My strings run down to boxes in the attic and from there down to the inverters." Can you say more about how those boxes are situated? Are they attached right underneath the sheathing? How does the penetration through the sheathing work?

layout-8.77.jpg

Ours mostly run down into the attic. There are two runs of conduit down the side of the house to the inverters. One comes from the small section of active tiles on the front of the house. The other is from the attic. In the attic, there is a junction box where all of the cables from the remaining active tile runs are terminated. The output of the junction box is the previously mention second connection to the inverters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. During construction did you see what the other end of the connection looks like? That is, how the wires from the string of solar roof tiles go through the roof decking and enter the conduit?

maybe ... unless you wanted to see the wires themselves
Thanks, you photo was just what I was looking for. That is, so long as the methods haven't totally changed!
I wrote a Google doc with pictures of our install. It shows much of the installation process. This may answer some of your questions.
Thanks. One of your photos shows the top side of the roof deck penetration, so I can see both top and bottom.