Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are spouses dealing with the wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I am lucky! My wife got behind the Roadster 3 years ago, and while nowhere near as obsessed as me, she is definitely excited about the Model S. In fact, is it is a good thing I love driving the Roadster as much as I do, because I will only get to drive the Model S when she wants me too! :wink:

Mine disliked the Roadster, in a mild sort of way; she totally got the standing-start-mash-the-pedal thing as well as the EV-how-cool-is-that thing but she has joint and grip issues, so managing the unassisted steering was hard for her in low-speed and parking situations. And the Roadster's lack of creature comforts meant that she never cared much for riding in the car, either. The Roadster is history, and now with the S it's a completely different story: she loves it, almost as much as I do. It's a big car that she's not afraid to drive, plus she finds it comfortable and loves how quiet it is. She's tech savvy and appreciates the technological advances the S represents and the fact that we generate more power from the rooftop PV than the car consumes on the road. The fact that it's a gorgeous Sig red and looks stunning doesn't hurt, either. :wink:

Last edited:
She half-jokingly tells our friends that I might be having some sort of an affair on TMC; that's her excuse to lurk here on and off ;)

Every time she sees me reading this forum, my wife always asks "How's Tessy?"

Other than sardonically reminding me that I am going to pay $90k for a car when that could be put towards other things, she's slowly come over to the Tesla side of things.

I think she'll be happy when I finally get my car -- only since she thinks I will spend less time on TMC. (I hate to tell her that my time will probably increase!)

My wife is mostly excited about it because I'm excited about. Over the weekend we got to run some errands in my Dad's Model S up in Portland. She was somewhat impressed with the power and I think she was a little freaked out about it the first time I got onto the pedal. The interesting thing about it was that, earlier today, we got back into her Land Rover LR3 to drive back to Eugene and she kept remarking about how much louder it is than the Model S. I'm not sure how many of you've ridden in a modern Land Rover like the LR3 but they're very quiet.

I think that she's beginning to be a lot happier about her Model X reservation. Mostly, I think that she's looking forward to my Model S coming so that I'll stop obsessing about it. :)

My wife is wonderful and excited and very much looking forward to the delivery on Tuesday! (BTW, I put an invite in the Sacramento group to the delivery).

She thinks that it's very cool to be bringing the future into the present.

I could not cancel our Model S reservation now even if I wanted to. Charlene is looking forward to the electric drive more than I am! She was "on board" from the first time our youngest son encouraged us to look at the Tesla Web-Site.

My wife has been very supportive, and now has developed a keen interest in the Model X. When I got my M5, she declared that she would be far too nervous to drive it, and indeed, she has only driven it twice. She started out the same way with the MSP, but after our test drive, I'm worried I may never get to drive it! :scared:

I definitely did NOT inform my wife we were getting one. It was a series of discussions.

While the Model S won't be a financial hardship for us (if it were, we wouldn't be getting one) it's still a LOT of money. I was definitely allowed to pick the color I wanted for the Model S because she gets to pick the color of the Model X. I'm just glad I'm getting to pick one of the colors. ;)

Will any of you comment on your ability to pay as a part of the spousal acceptance?

Great point! I think the money is one of, if not the, greatest areas of concern for my wife. She gets the ROI, especially since we live in a house with a 42 panel solar array, but the car will be by far the most expensive car we've ever purchased!

I've been saving for almost four years, so I have a good purse set aside to start with, but will need to finance the balance. Ideally the monthly payment plus insurance won't be too much more than my Lexus HS250 is now...

Ummm, errr ... I think I just stumbled into a time warp. What year is it? Where am I?

If it makes you feel any better, some of my male mechanical engineering and electrical engineering friends have about the same level (zero) of excitement about my car as my wife did.

And my wife is starting to warm up to the Tesla slowly but surely. I am just hoping that she doesn't warm up enough where she is driving it. She has already said "What if we trade in my Civic, and keep your GTI?" for when we get the Tesla. My car has 112,000 miles on it. Her car is just above 40,000 miles. My total nightmare is that we trade my GTI, she decides she needs to drive the Tesla, and I have to drive her Civic.

But my wife has progressed from the :rolleyes: phase. She isn't quite at the :love: phase yet. Which for me is a great place for her to be.

My office is in a diff camp. -in hushed tones- "Is that YOUR Roadster outside???" It definitely upped my geek cred, since I've been passing as 'able to pull off social conversations' for a while. (I acknowledge that in an Intel environment, the measure of 'geek' might be different than other places.) I brought some Tesla stickers in one day and while everyone swore 'it's for my kids', some of those guys don't have kids.

I was going to let my ex take the car for a day as a nice gesture next time he was in town, but that's a big NO now. My son borrowed my Prius to meet up with his dad a few weeks ago and my ex managed to back into it. No Roadster for you!

Interestingly, the COTY from Motor Trend seems to have re-energized my wife when it comes to the Model S. She is a scientist by trade, and an evaluation with criteria which is documented to present an outcome is how she thinks (she is the brains in this operation!), so this is exactly what she needed to see!

Now to that getting the car thing.