Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are the folding back seats removed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model S and desire to remove the folding seat backs. My goal is maximize storage and sleeping area for a long distance trip. I will construct a flat surface and add black carpeting on it. My first task is to remove the seat back. Does anyone know how to disconnect the seat backs? It looks like a few screws holding a bracket on, but would like to hear from the community first if there is any experience to do this.

You could watch this video where someone shows how to install the RFSs, and just do the opposite:

Be careful that you take out or secure the nuts that slide around or they will fall out when you drive the car.

Thanks for your help, but the only problem is when I searched for removing the second row folding seats, the third row seat removal and installations showed up such as this type.

I watched the Ranger remove the bottoms of of the rear seats. He said the folding part could be removed, but it was almost impossible to get them back correctly, so he did everything possible not to remove them--even though it made removing the charger more difficult. (Note this was back in early 2013, so that may have changed.) He also talked about the steps needed, but I've slept since then.

I watched the Ranger remove the bottoms of of the rear seats. He said the folding part could be removed, but it was almost impossible to get them back correctly, so he did everything possible not to remove them--even though it made removing the charger more difficult. (Note this was back in early 2013, so that may have changed.) He also talked about the steps needed, but I've slept since then.

Thanks, I was afraid of that since there is a bar that runs the length of the back that the seats pivot on.

2017 S. The rear seat cushion is very easy to remove and I've done it several times installing/reinstalling seat covers. Just be mindful of cables attached underneath the seats (for seat warmers). I've tried many times to remove the rear seat backs but no success - there's nothing to simply 'unclip' or pull, and I hesitate to use tools to unscrew stuff.

Reactions: Utahken
2017 S. The rear seat cushion is very easy to remove and I've done it several times installing/reinstalling seat covers. Just be mindful of cables attached underneath the seats (for seat warmers). I've tried many times to remove the rear seat backs but no success - there's nothing to simply 'unclip' or pull, and I hesitate to use tools to unscrew stuff.

Actually, I don't want to remove the read seat cushions for that exact reason, that the chargers are underneath them. It is the folding seat that I am trying to remove.