TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How are the Model S screens with direct sunlight?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jerjozwik, Aug 24, 2015.

1. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

#1 jerjozwik, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    hello, so on my way to work this morning the TFT display on my fiat 500e just so happened to be struck by direct sunlight and could not read most of the display.

20821706756_58086fd542_z.jpg 20150824_084201 by jeremy jozwik, on Flickr

makes me wonder, how does the model s with its big screens cope with being in sunlight?

2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    It does pretty well because they are somewhat protected by the dash panel above them, plus they are pretty bright anyway. The tesla windows and windshield also do a good job of glare reduction. I have tinting anyway, being a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

the screen in front of the steering wheel is fine since it's tucked in away from direct sunlight. the big 17" console screen every now and then can get hit with direct sunlight coming in from the side windows which makes it really really hard to see but honestly after 80k miles now i've only had that happen a few times, its gotta be a certain angle at a certain time of day for that to occur - aka rare.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Never had a problem in 2 and half years and 35k+ miles. The screens have way more brightness than the typical tablet / phone screen as Tesla wasn't constrained by battery life like most mobile devices.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

The only time I had such a problem was when driving with the pano roof open and the sun was at just the right angle over my shoulder. With the pano closed, I've never had any kind of glare or visibility issues. (Just occurred that these types of screens may not work well if Tesla ever introduces a convertible).

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Same experience. A couple times I've had to close the roof to see something on the center console. Never had a problem with the dash screen even with the roof open.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

now that you mention it, i think the only times i got it too were with the pano open.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The screens themselves hardly ever have glare, and if you have the pano open, the screens from the accessories shop will fix that. However, if the sun is just right, the bezels can become so bright that you have to hold up your arm to block the glare. Just about blinded me the first time it happened. Fortunately, it doesn't happen frequently. Trim on the interior should be flat and dark.

9. demundus

demundus Member

dont complain, at least you get tire pressure readings.... :crying:

10. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

ha, well i had it on that screen because i found a nail in my precious right rear federal 595rs-r.

17780803408_3f1e4a0d8d_b.jpg 20150520_103413 by jeremy jozwik, on Flickr

11. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

ha! The screens are great. High visibility. The screen in front of the driver has a nice hood so glare is never an issue. The main screen maintains brightness in daylight, so not really an issue there. I will say when the 17" screen does get hit with direct sunlight, it really brings out the finger prints. Issue with any touch screen. I got tired of constantly cleaning the screen so I use a stylus all the time. Keep it in the center console insert from EVannex.