Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are the Superchargers in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks

We'll be travelling from Belgium at the beginning of October and driving across to Somerset (Cheddar). I was just wondering how the SuC experience is there, especially as I notice the ones at Bristol are 2-stalls, so I'm guessing these are the temporary installations like we see in France?

I'll try to top-up before I get on the Chunnel, after that I was thinking to do a splash-and-dash at Maidstone, Reading and Bristol.

Do they get busy, are you queuing at all, what kind of charge rate do you normally get?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Most of the 2-stall sites are in fact normal installations that currently only have 2 stalls, rather than the portable ones. Charging rates are generally good - I don't know of any that are power limited (Warrington apparently was when first installed, but then got an upgrade).

I have almost always been the only car charging when I've visited Superchargers, though there have been occasional reports of queuing at some of the 2-stall sites - in particular the Bristol Cribbs Causeway site, where there are sometimes Tesla test-drive cars charging. The other Bristol site is probably the safest bet if you are in a hurry.

I'd have thought you could easily make it from the tunnel to Reading without stopping at Maidstone. Reading is unlikely to be crowded, but there's not much there by way of amenities if you arrive in the evening or at a weekend.

Most of the 2-stall sites are in fact normal installations that currently only have 2 stalls, rather than the portable ones. Charging rates are generally good - I don't know of any that are power limited (Warrington apparently was when first installed, but then got an upgrade).

I have almost always been the only car charging when I've visited Superchargers, though there have been occasional reports of queuing at some of the 2-stall sites - in particular the Bristol Cribbs Causeway site, where there are sometimes Tesla test-drive cars charging. The other Bristol site is probably the safest bet if you are in a hurry.

I'd have thought you could easily make it from the tunnel to Reading without stopping at Maidstone. Reading is unlikely to be crowded, but there's not much there by way of amenities if you arrive in the evening or at a weekend.

Thanks, arg, very useful!

Hi Folks

So, I had a nice trip to UK - Brussels to Cheddar and back again in two days - a little tiring...

Supercharging was fine and indeed the dual installations were pretty fast - we used the ones at Sainsbury's East Filton in Bristol both on the way and the way back. I was quite proud to get all the way to the Chunnel from there without stopping - 9 kms remaining; a little tighter that I would have preferred!

Maidstone was slow though - I tried two different chargers and only got 280km per hour - normally it's 500+

The chargers at the Chunnel terminals for outward on each side are just brilliant.

Only saw two other Teslas on the whole trip - played a bit with a red on on Friday evening along the M4 and then one at Sainsbury's.