Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are we supposed to be using FSD beta? How are you doing it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if there is a nice write up somewhere for the people who get it?

1. When to take over? When it just drives badly? Should we do what needs to be done whenever it's not perfect? Or let it bumble until it gets a bit more risky (e.g. when there is a car behind). E.g.
    1. Driving in the middle of a two way lane in a parking lot? Disengage, line up, engage, and disengage again if it goes back to the middle?
    2. Generally bad lane placement, or selecting the wrong lane (e.g. on an on-ramp moving to the left lane instantly, instead of merging into the right lane. I let it as there were no cars anywhere, but why would it try to do that, especially when a block later it moves back to the right lane.
    3. Right turn lane placement (should be in the right side of the lane, not the left lane, especially when there is enough room for cars to drive through the gap on the right - while the Tesla is blinking.
    4. Forgets or is late to use turn signals? Just turn on the turn signal?
    5. Sits at a stop sign, with nobody in sight, doesn't even creep, just waits for Godot
  2. When to actually file reports? Every single time it does the same silly thing? Every minor thing? How? Just the video click? Send an e-mail to [email protected] (a bit painful to pull over for that each time). Will spoken scroll wheel reports work?

What do people do? Basically on small residential streets, it drives badly pretty much all the time, every turn, every stop. Should I let it bumble around, or just not engage?

Treat it as a driving aid. You’re driving. You should know what the car should be doing at any given moment, and if it isn’t doing that, take over. Goose the go pedal if it’s hesitating or slowing down for no apparent reason. Take over steering if it’s going wonky. Brake if it’s gunning it too hard. There’s a little leeway in there depending on your level of comfort, but otherwise you’re in complete control. It works very well for me in my residential neighborhood and my small residential streets, so obviously area makes a difference. I’m surprised that it doesn’t work well for you given you’re apparently in the Bay Area.

1. It isn’t meant for parking lots period right now.

2. If it’s trying to take the wrong lane, cancel via stalk or take over if it’s doing it too quickly to cancel, or if it’s doing so without signaling.

3. Pretty sure Tesla is aware this is an issue, but it likely isn’t an easy one to solve. Testers have been sending that feedback forever. If there are no cars, you can decide if you want to let it go or not. If there are, I’d recommend taking over to prevent confusion.

4. I’d suggest turning on the signal yourself.

5. Hit the go pedal.

Reactions: n.one.one
Verbal bug reports don't go anywhere- waste of time other than for issues you're going to open a service ticket with (the service center can read those reports which are kept locally on your car)- none of this is related to FSD at all though.

The video capture button DOES get sent to Tesla (and is exclusive to the beta currently).

The email address appears to be for situations where the feedback from the video clip is unclear on its own, specifically the note said "In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback."

So if it seems obvious from the clip- the video's probably sufficient. If it's not, follow up with an email when you can.

Personally in my brief time with it so far as far as disengaging I'm using these rules:

If other vehicles aren't around and the car is going to do something likely to damage itself or others property I take over immediately.

If the car is "waiting" for something, with nobody behind me, and no prompt I need to do something- I'll give it a chance to do something for a bit before I intervene (do check the screen though- had one today where it was stopped at a right light at a T junction, turns green, car still sits- screen said I needed to tap accelerator or stalk to continue even though it showed it saw the light was green and no cross traffic (they being stopped at their red lights so no idea why it needed help).

If the car appears to be doing something weird or stupid while moving AND there's other cars (or people) around, I take over. If it's doing something weird or stupid (but not potentially harmful to the car or others property) and nobody is around, I let it continue doing it (and then when it appears to be done being stupid, hit the video clip button).

There seem enough youtubers willing to just let it run over curbs and whatnot that I don't feel any need to do it with mine :)

I have beta for about a week. I guess my expectations, from watching mostly successful trips in YouTube, was higher than it should be. I can't take any trips, big or small, where interventions aren't required. There is always the awkwardness with other drivers, but on top of that I've had several situations where I had to take over to avoid certain collision. I understand and believe in the mission but my experience so far is pretty disappointing. I can't really say that it does anything particularly well. My area of North Jersey may not be well mapped out so far ( I may even be the first with beta around here for all I know), but even on well marked roads and routes I see many struggles. Looking forward to future updates to compare.

Reactions: RenaeTM
Just got FSD Beta for the first time (10.8) and took it out on quiet streets this morning. My first impression is very disappointing. It frequently (but not always) disengaged at stop signs, or just sat and waited for me to hit the accelerator. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I have the "FSD Beta" button selected under controls, but not "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control Beta". Is that the right setting?