Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are you dealing with parking lot curb-stops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally went over this curb stop and thought it was going to rip the front bumper off when I backed up. I had no way to do anything other than back up and cringe the whole time. The sensor showed 28" when I pulled in, but I'm sure it was reading the actual curb. It's hard to see, but in the second pic, that piece that hangs down in front of the tire does not clear. This is a short curb-stop too. It's something that I'd think Tesla would address...or maybe not many people have had issues???

Anyone else?

20211023_153406.jpg
20211023_153415.jpg

I accidentally went over this curb stop and thought it was going to rip the front bumper off when I backed up. I had no way to do anything other than back up and cringe the whole time. The sensor showed 28" when I pulled in, but I'm sure it was reading the actual curb. It's hard to see, but in the second pic, that piece that hangs down in front of the tire does not clear. This is a short curb-stop too. It's something that I'd think Tesla would address...or maybe not many people have had issues???

Anyone else?

View attachment 725301View attachment 725302
I have a radar being my wife yelling ”stop, stop”. Lol.

@MikeR99 I had a similar bad experience, and since I installed a backup camera under my front license plate holder.
I am using a Viscoo FHD 1080p which has a very good resolution.

I also installed another camera oriented perpendicularly to the left, allowing me to see the coming traffic
when I exit from my driveway without having the front of the car been inside the traffic lane.

1) Back in if you can using the rear and side cameras
2) Park further out and away from cars and curbs
3) Realize that if you crack the aero shield (the plastic bottom) it's only a $250 mistake. I've busted them on other cars driving through deep snow drifts.

If you do more damage than a scrape, like a big crack, you'll want to replace it...over time it'll come apart and flap at highway speeds. You want it to redirect the airflow, not catch the airflow. :D

Reactions: MikeR99
One thing I learned when I drove a MINI was not to pull in all the way to the curb. In that case, it was significant because the car was so short that the space could look open, at best annoying drivers who think they have a space and at worst getting hit by one of those drivers swooping in on the parking space.

Anyway, the MINI is long gone it I still don’t try to get the car all the way to the curb. I just try to get the back of the car within the box of the parking space. Vehicles much longer the the MY park in the same spaces. Pulling in over the curb is not necessary.

@MikeR99 I had a similar bad experience, and since I installed a backup camera under my front license plate holder.
I am using a Viscoo FHD 1080p which has a very good resolution.

I also installed another camera oriented perpendicularly to the left, allowing me to see the coming traffic
when I exit from my driveway without having the front of the car been inside the traffic lane.
I just ordered the camera too. I think that will be a great solution to this type of problem. Thanks!

I use the cameras to tell when the ass end of the car is in the spot and leave the front not fully in (sort of like the Mini Cooper idea above). It helps prevent going too far forward. When I see both left and right lane markers for the parking spot, I know I’m in far enough.

Reactions: mrwug
This isn't something exclusive to Tesla's. You just have to be mindful and careful. I actually did this for the first time the other day. I knew I was over it and seemed fine until I went too far and I heard a not so good sound (it never really makes a sound going in, then u back out and every millimeter is like "aww man").

Anyone else?

View attachment 725301View attachment 725302
I had same problem and portion of the plastic ripped and came out. Don't know if I have to spend and replace now or wait