Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are you dealing with parking lot curb-stops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my MS, standard parking stops will scrape the front. I always back in to parking spots. On the rare circumstance when I am forced to pull in forwards, I am extremely conservative with distance to prevent scrapes. Obviously: don’t count on the ultrasonics for parking stops.

Learn where your vehicle resides in space. I continue to be amazed at the numbers of people given drivers licenses who obviously have no notion at all of where the corners and front and back of their vehicles are relative to the objects around them. Get out and look a few times to calibrate your observation.

The backing in to parking spaces thing relates to this-- it's way more common than not for the parking space backers to gee and haw 2-3 or more times as they attempt to put a 6 ft wide vehicle into an 11 ft wide space-- sometimes still unsuccessfully as they bash a pillar or clip the car next to them. Nose in, most people can manage relatively easily and backing out there are no obstructions (though again some drivers stop 10 ft short of the car behind them and do the back-and-forth thing despite have more than ample space).

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
If you put your blinker on to signal your intent and are quick about it, most people are cool with leaving you enough space.
I always wondered which direction to turn the blinker. Do you turn it towards the spot signaling you’re going in? Or do you signal away from the spot since you need to pull forward and away to angle in more easily?

I was in my other vehicle (an FJ cruiser with big blind spots) when I signaled towards a spot. But as I was positioning the car to go in (I pulled forward slightly and away)… the car behind me decided to cut around me and I almost hit them as I angled away.

Now I wait there halfway blocking the spot while I figure out what the car behind me is gonna do… yeah it takes longer and they are probably more confused but it makes it less likely for me to hit them.