Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are you keeping your MX Exterior clean this winter(car wash?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey so ideally we would all probably Hand Wash/Foam Cannon our Model X's ourselves in the driveway, but being that its winter its less likely to happen. How are you guys keeping your car clean? Regular Car wash? Hand Wash place only? Cant determine where to take the car.

Do you have to keep the spoiler down?

Been relying on the SC washes as had to take it there 5 times already since May.

Thanks

I live in Michigan. Horrible roads, lots of salt. I just finished using WashWaxAll and tons of microfiber towels. I think I did a good job, no scratches. WashWax works great, but it smells horrible. I first sprayed down the car with some water, using a squirt bottle, tried to rinse off as much salt and dirt as I could, then used the spray wash wax stuff, then dried with a microfiber towel.

Didn't want to create a new thread.

So I have a lot of things stuck quite hard to the bottom of my four Model X doors, so much so that the surface feels a little rough even after a wash. How does everybody clean the paint surface well so that it feels smooth like the first day I got it. Can isopropyl alchohol be used on the paint surface?

Hey so ideally we would all probably Hand Wash/Foam Cannon our Model X's ourselves in the driveway, but being that its winter its less likely to happen. How are you guys keeping your car clean? Regular Car wash? Hand Wash place only? Cant determine where to take the car.

Been relying on the SC washes as had to take it there 5 times already since May.

Thanks

I'm also in Jersey. I JUST washed my car on Sunday knowing some colder weather is coming and would likely be my last opportunity to do it in the driveway at home. I will not take mine to a regular car wash. Even the hand wash places near me don't seem to do a great job. . I've been debating what to do. I believe I have a place local to me where I can go throw a few quarters in and wash my own car. I have never used one of these but give it a try.

I use a specialty products that have been in the making 15 and 11 years called "MY TWO SONS".

After years spent perfecting and developing and feeding these cleaning products, I now make sure that they get their asses off the computer and go outside and earn their keep(s).

I find that after an initial "breaking in" period, things work out well almost every time.

Last edited:
Didn't want to create a new thread.

So I have a lot of things stuck quite hard to the bottom of my four Model X doors, so much so that the surface feels a little rough even after a wash. How does everybody clean the paint surface well so that it feels smooth like the first day I got it. Can isopropyl alchohol be used on the paint surface?
The Model X front tires do a good job of throwing mud, salt, and gravel at the lower part of the FWD's, especially just forward of the rear wheel wells. As others have noted, Tesla uses a soft paint due to California air pollution standards. The detailer who was trying to ceramic coat my car told me that he couldn't wrap the FWD's with all the pits they had in them because each pit would cause a bubble and the film might not stick anyway. Now I wish I had wrapped the whole car instead of just the front.

After wifey hit a deer this Fall I took the opportunity to have the body shop repaint the FWD's when they repainted the front end. Now I'm just waiting for the paint to "cure" so I can get everything wrapped and ceramic coated. It's killing me to have to drive our ICE second car while waiting!

Thanks

I’m alone in this camp...

I had it wrapped (XPEL) day 1. From there on out, I use the car as any normal car. I take it to automatic car washes. I told the Mirrors and only use a nearby wash that knows how to engage and disengage tow mode.

The Model X front tires do a good job of throwing mud, salt, and gravel at the lower part of the FWD's, especially just forward of the rear wheel wells. As others have noted, Tesla uses a soft paint due to California air pollution standards. The detailer who was trying to ceramic coat my car told me that he couldn't wrap the FWD's with all the pits they had in them because each pit would cause a bubble and the film might not stick anyway. Now I wish I had wrapped the whole car instead of just the front.

After wifey hit a deer this Fall I took the opportunity to have the body shop repaint the FWD's when they repainted the front end. Now I'm just waiting for the paint to "cure" so I can get everything wrapped and ceramic coated. It's killing me to have to drive our ICE second car while waiting!

It cost me $2500 to have my FWD repainted do to massive rock chip damage before I sold it earlier this year. I am currently trying to find splash guards to install on my new X or I am going to wrap it, I just dont want to spend $5K doing so...

It cost me $2500 to have my FWD repainted do to massive rock chip damage before I sold it earlier this year. I am currently trying to find splash guards to install on my new X or I am going to wrap it, I just dont want to spend $5K doing so...

If you were going to sell the car anyway, why did you need to spend so much money to repaint the FWD? Just curious.

Now I'm worried my FWD are going to get rock damaged. Mine aren't wrapped. It's a lease, and I don't know if I will buy it out afterwards.

I'm also in Jersey. I JUST washed my car on Sunday knowing some colder weather is coming and would likely be my last opportunity to do it in the driveway at home. I will not take mine to a regular car wash. Even the hand wash places near me don't seem to do a great job. . I've been debating what to do. I believe I have a place local to me where I can go throw a few quarters in and wash my own car. I have never used one of these but give it a try.

Where in Jersey do they perform hand wash or touch less wash? Have been looking for one.