Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are you paying for the Model S when you order it?

How are you paying for the Model S?

• A. Cash, definitely. I don't even need to look under the sofa cushions.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • C. Could pay cash, but borrowing some of it strictly for cash flow reasons.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • B. Hopefully all cash; saving for it, but I might need to borrow some.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • D. Borrowing some is definitely in the cards.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • E. I'm letting the credit union loan officer sleep with my wife.

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said in the other thread, some of us have enough "cash" that we can afford to buy in cash *and* keep a large, liquid emergency fund. It's not by any means a small amount of money or a trifle -- because it's a lot compared to my income -- but it's also not biting into my needed liquidity (thanks to lots of savings). From your description of your motivation for borrowing, I suspect you're not that different; would you pay cash if even after paying the cash, you were left with an amount of liquid cash you were comfortable with?

I would guess that a lot of well-to-do retirees (which is not what I am) are in essentially the same position as me, high assets low income; in that situation paying cash practically always makes sense rather than taking out a loan.

Oh definitely. In fact, I plan to finance at least 20k to keep that around for things that may pop up (like buying stock, home improvements, trips or other impulse spends), but if it's at all a hassle (like my last financing experience was), I'll just pay for it in full and consider it an investment in my sanity.