Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are your AWD Ys handling the winter snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to buy a LR AWD Y with the 20" wheels. How are these cars handling winter?

I have a LR RWD 3 and have been mostly pleased with its winter performance on all season tires so I imagine that the AWD Y is only better.

Thoughts and observations?

I'm planning on getting the 20" Gemini wheels. I've heard that the stock tires are far superior on the 20" wheels.
The term Gemini applies to the aero covers on the 19" wheels that are standard on the Tesla Model Y. The 20" wheels are known as Induction wheels and do not have a removable aero cover.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tires that come with the 20" Induction wheels are rated higher by customers on sites such as TireRack than the Continental Procontact RX tires that come with the 19" wheels. That said, neither the OE Goodyear or the OE Continental tires that come with the Model Y provide good traction in winter driving on snow and ice. Unless the road has been plowed and treated with sand or some other abrasive material you would be safer to stay off the road unless you have proper winter tires.

Last edited:
100% improvement over nothing is still nothing. Hers is a thread on the forum with a link to a video that shows driving with the 20" Induction wheels with the Goodyear Eagle F1 all season tires on hard parked snow and ice on a residential street.

Driving at probably no more than 15 MPH, when the road curves to the left the Model Y has no ability to steer and drives off the road (you can see the track that the Model Y had traveled earlier under the same winter driving conditions.) There is a pickup parked perhaps 10 yards beyond where the Model Y leaves the road. That is how close the Model Y driver came to hitting the parked truck.

Total Crap OEM Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Tires - Beware in snow!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: seniorcitizen
Before trading in my 2014 MS85 for a 2021 MY, I also wondered about winter handling in NH… until I saw this analysis from Alaska:

Since taking delivery in December 2020, I’ve driven MY (w/ original Continental ProContact RX tires on 19" Gemini wheels) on hard pack snow, on icy roads, and through 5” of fresh snow without any problem. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:
drove my wifes y with 20" inductions today here in VA. Admittedly its more of a slushy snow on the roads (about 4-5 inches) but the near perfect weight distribution, the actual significant weight, and the excellent traction control. Kudos to Tesla

Sorry, 20" induction. I will never ever buy winter tires. What a hassle to swap tires 2x/year let alone storing them. I've been using all seasons for over 30 years and they perform just fine.
It depends on the all season tire of course. The only thing that "all season" means is that the tread compound is useable in most temperatures. Some all seasons are crap in the snow some do pretty well--although none do as well as a good dedicated winter tire. I've run both the Vredestein Quatrac Pro and the Michelin Cross Climate+ in all seasons including snow, and they both do very well in the snow.

mine stuck at my drive way today. my other car, 2016 mdx just went over 2 mins before it.

I have to use snow mode to get out.
"Off Road" mode is what i assume you meant since we don't have a snow mode. (We should though.) "Off Road" mode is great in low speed and off road driving, but remember that it disables stability control. Once you're on the road and accelerating beyond a slow speed, you should disable "Off Road" mode so as to regain stability control. Engaging cruise control is the quickest and easiest way to disenge "Off Road" mode. I engage CC briefly and then immediately raise the same stalk to disengage Cruise. Verify on the display that both CC and Off Road mode are disengaged.

I replaced the Continental ProContact's immediately (less than 30 miles driven) with the Vredestein Wintrac Pro - first real test was last night driving through Connecticut to New York City in white out conditions.

The roads were bad and I can definitely feel the AWD constantly adjusting to the traction, but the car performed ..very.. well. We had stopped at the Darien Supercharger as it was coming down very hard and by the time we were done there was about 1" of snow on the ground and no plowing so I tried to get the car to spin out in the empty parking lot but even though the back would pull a bit out on a turn it pretty quickly corrected.

My biggest fear was regen braking and slowing the car down but I didn't feel the car loosing control when lifting from the pedal and there were a number of rapid deceleration moments as cars spun out in front of us or we'd take a on-ramp from the LIE to BQE to see two cars blocking the opposite lanes, one trying to get chains on the car and the other taking a breather of spinning out and hitting the onramp wall.

Today I had to move the car around (street parked in NYC) and while I got stuck briefly cresting a snow berm that was over a foot deep I was able to use the Slip Start functionality and rocking the car to get it unstuck.

My biggest complaints are that the wipers are a bit disappointing and there's no heat around on the sensors to keep them clear, or cameras.

The one outstanding question is whether the NYC sanitation trucks throwing rock salt will damage the paint. I had the bottom of the doors and fenders/bumpers wrapped in PPF and the car coated in ceramic, but I just don't trust the Tesla paint to perform well.

I agree with the thing about the auto
wipers. They are awful. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they don't, sometimes overreact. It is a mess. I keep punching the damn bottom to activate them.
Wearing gloves while driving has given me an opportunity to become better acquainted with the Tesla's voice commands including "Set Wipers to Low", "Driver's Seat Heater to 1", "Open glove box" and "Tire Pressure".

Had 2 snowstorms so far and MY with 19" stock tires have been just fine so far. I do have the 19" Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tire coming this week so it will be interesting to see how much better they handle. I do agree about the post about the wipers. Not having an intermittentant setting is a bit of a pain.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung