Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are your AWD Ys handling the winter snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume that is the number of times you push in the button on the end of the stalk? I'll try that this afternoon on my way home.
Thanks!!

I don't think so, it appears to be on the screen:

upload_2021-2-2_11-10-11.png

MY LR with 19" factory installed Conti's. I've been reasonably happy with handling on packed snow and ice. I would say it is comparable with my old X1 and 3 Series with X-Drive and all season run flats. There is some slippage but you don't feel out of control.

I also have not been impressed with the wipers running in auto mode. It would be better if there was some way to adjust how agressive the auto wiper is.

The 20" tires that come on the Inductions are terrible. Absolute garbage. I ended up getting Blizzaks and 18" rims and now the car is fantastic in snow, like it's glued to the road.

can you elaborate?

We all know all season are not good in deep snow/very icy situation.

Is it garbage compare to winter tires?

or is it garbage compare to other all seasons tires?

On the wipers I agree that I miss not having a direct control on a stalk but I have learned that if you push in on the stalk you activate the wipers for two cycles and this can be repeated as often as needed. It also brings up the wiper display window where you can select one of the four speeds.
On the tires and stability control I went with the SottZero's and am happy with them over 25+ days on snow on Mt Hood in Oregon. I have learned that it is a little tail happy but does not get out of control. Let it slide a bit and get sideways a bit and have fun with it. The Y has plenty on torque AND control, so just go with it. Previously I was driving a Acura RDX with Nokian WRg4's which are very good year round snow tires, but the comparison is that the Acura is tame and conservative, where Tessie is an enthusiastic beast that loves the snow and stays under control while having some fun.
2020MY at MHM.jpg

Picked up my MYP today at the port of Anchorage. It's slick out, roads are snow/ice covered. I was nervous about taking it, but I found a tire place with rims and studded nokians in stock. Was supposed to be a flat drive there - however, Leaving I made a wrong turn and ended up having to go up a steep road with a curve at the top. MYP with the 21s handled it. Even when the car decided to kick out a little, the car brought itself back in line very well... I don't know what to say about all the folks saying this car doesn't handle well in the snow. For sure, it was FAR from ideal with the summer performance tires on it. But now with the right tires on it, so far, it seems to handle just as well as our other AWD vehicles with the right tires on it.

We received a big hit of snow this past week (20") and I ran about the neighborhood right after plows cleared my court. Handled it very well. This is my first AWD vehicle. I grew up in WNY and, even with all the snow, we never had AWD and got along fine. Nowadays, most have it and with modern AWD it is nice to have.

Standard wheels and tires on our MY AWD. Took it out in the snow recently and it did really well; better than my AWD Ford. Used regen to slow and then stop the car on a very steep slippery hill with a nasty curve on it half way down; didn't have to touch the brakes at all. Turned around, stopped it on the same hill and it then pulled away up the hill with no issues and very slight slip just at the start. A smooth approach to controlling the go pedal and one pedal driving was easy. Just my opinion.

I drove for two weeks in pretty snowy/icy conditions, probably the worst I've been in. A lot of the roads were stacked with cars wiping out and sliding down hills.

I'm on 20" TSportline TY115 (forged) with Michelin X-Ice SNOW tires in a MY Performance. A few times on acceleration I fishtailed quite a bit, and it took some finesse to get back in line. The subarus around me seemed to be OK taking off from the light. On a downslope I guess I had let up too much on the acceleration and the regen braking kicked in hard, and I started fishtailing as well, which was very weird. If I didn't know any better, regen braking seems to be heavily rear biased or totally on the rear wheels. This was kind of weird and scary, it took me a moment to push down on the accelerator pedal just enough to stop braking. As you might imagine from a lifetime of ICE driving, this was unsettling to push the accelerator in that situation. Thank goodness I kept like a 10 car buffer in front of me and there was plenty of snow on both sides of the road.

Overall, I'm not sure if the tires did great. I've never driven in that area before in the winter, and maybe the times I did lose grip were minor compared to what would really happen.

In the past I've had Bilzzak winter tires on my Audi S5 and very rarely had any issues as I do now, but it could just have been that the conditions were far worse this time around.

The rear bias seems to be a big issue though, as I feel like my rears were the problem most of the time.