Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are your black leather seats holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's been a thread or two around the white seats as even myself has been curious how they hold up for cleanliness
and beyond that I've seen some folks mention leather creasing. With the white any creasing would be hard to notice but on something like black it will stand out much more.

I placed my Model X order on 12/31 waiting until the last minute and while I've chosen black interior. I'm still 50/50 between black and white hence curious how black is doing in the long run for the larger population.

Can I ask folks to post up pics of your black leather seats for how they look and in your post share how many miles you may have since it helps?

Hi,
Same situation here. Just ordered the MX 90D with black leather seats after advice from the Tesla sales person.
The white seats are prone to colour markings by e.g. A wet blue jeans. Imagine returning from a trip in the snow and leaving a permanent souvenir of the trip in those beautiful white seats....
My current car is an Audi A5 with black leather seats. As with all leather, it is organic material which can deform on the places you usually sit. I believe the white seats have less of an issue with that. However the risk of the white turning yellowish because of the sunlight and the bluejeans markings made me turn in favor of the black leather.
Besides, in combination with the white exterior it looks very nice :)
Greetings from Belgium!

I have my MX now for almost 4 months with white interior, with 2 kids, and not regretting it so far...
Indeed with blue jeans after some time you see a blue shine in the leather but with cleaning wipes (yes the ones you use for your small children (vochtige doekjes for my Belgian fellow) it is really easy to clean it and return it back to all white...
The black interior makes it look much smaller inside, the white makes the car having much more space... So very happy with white here!

I wear blue jeans about 5 days a week for 5 months on my white seats. Just looked in bright light to be sure, but no blue. I did get a bit of black grease on them once, but it wiped clean in about 5 seconds. Very impressive. I think I see some of the white stitching starting to darken a bit, but you really have to be searching to notice it is not on purpose. Hope this helps.

I have my MX now for almost 4 months with white interior, with 2 kids, and not regretting it so far...
Indeed with blue jeans after some time you see a blue shine in the leather but with cleaning wipes (yes the ones you use for your small children (vochtige doekjes for my Belgian fellow) it is really easy to clean it and return it back to all white...
The black interior makes it look much smaller inside, the white makes the car having much more space... So very happy with white here!
Probably because I'm used to a black interior in my A5 the MX already feels spacious :)
Sticking to the black leather as another concern I have is my black haired dog shedding his short hairs all over the place.

Another thread is discussing wrinkles with all leather seats. Seems that this is considered normal by Tesla.
Difficult choice with the UW showing tearing in the early deliveries and the leather with wrinkles and the dillema of a black dog shedding.
To be very honest, I know I will get hammered for saying this but...there's just too many things that go wrong with the X, whether its minor aesthetic things or more important functioning things. I am all up for selling it, BUT just cant afford to take a big hit after only having it for a couple months.

To be very honest, I know I will get hammered for saying this but...there's just too many things that go wrong with the X, whether its minor aesthetic things or more important functioning things. I am all up for selling it, BUT just cant afford to take a big hit after only having it for a couple months.
There is some truth in what you write. However, most high-end vehicles are a PITA to upkeep.

I'm just hoping the X is different and that all these automated features in the X eventually get replaced with well-designed and stable parts, making it relatively pain-free to upkeep.

Ouch sorry to hear that. With our dog a MS is not an option.
Isn't tesla going out of their way to fix things? Their reputation is at stake.

As to the seats: after reading these posts and a visit to the store where they had both configs ready for delivery: pearl white with uw and black leather.
The uw gives a more spacious feeeling on the 2nd row and looks more exlusive.
Hence the choice is made: pearl white Ith uw and pup it will be :)
Counting the weeks now

I have Next Gen Black Leather on a month old Model S, so I cannot comment on durability. Seems though that the leather is too soft and very vulnerable to scratches. We will see how it goes.

On white leather, I can say from experience that my, now gone, 2014 Porsche Cayman with white leather seats looked perfect after 3 years.... until you compared the visible areas of the seat with non visible or non touched (sides of the seats, especially on the inside part). Then you could see that the white I thought I was seeing was really a very light blue from jeans etc.

So, I guess, time will tell for those of you with the white seats.