Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are your White Seats holding up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at ordering red exterior and white interior. I like leather but I read the white is made of a plastic/polymer material. How well does it hold up in terms of resisting wear, fading, tearing and staining?

Elon has said the white is the most stain resistant fabric they have. My car is 6 months old 7000 miles (red with white interior) with 3 kid, one who is 2 no issues with staining and they appear to be holding up well. They are also the ventilated option before they got discontinued, so rumor has it mine should be less durable. Just a simple baby wipe makes them good as new. Love the white seats and would definitely get them again.

• Informative
Reactions: Austral

I believe it is better to choose real leather because you are able to fix the wear with dye and other conventional leather repair methods known for years. The Ultra white seats cannot be fixed, only replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: sickfox
I am pleasantly surprised by the ultra whites. I didn't have a choice because I bought a demo car. I've destroyed the trunk hauling equipment but the white seats have come clean no matter what I throw at them.

The worst scenario I had just took 2 minutes of scrubbing with a pepper towel and dish soap. I am sure it would have shown residue on leather or cloth but the ultra whites are like new.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I hook up this conversation. White is also an option for me but I am still not sure how durable they really are. Also how well they take color from jeans and other cloths... I remember light brown leather seats in other cars. They look great the first 4 years and horrible after 6...

Our local "gallery" stated the ultra white seats have held up much better than the leather seats in their test drive cars - they easily clean them with baby wipes.

And so far, we have to agree after the limited time we've had our S 100D with the "stormtrooper" interior since March.

Reactions: bhzmark
After about 4000 miles on my vehicle, there's been some blue jean dye transfer on the driver seat. I wear (darker) jeans once or twice a week. This dye transfer doesn't seem to come off with rubbing alcohol. I haven't tried any other cleaning methods, but people should be aware of this.

• Informative
Reactions: Nda721
After about 4000 miles on my vehicle, there's been some blue jean dye transfer on the driver seat. I wear (darker) jeans once or twice a week. This dye transfer doesn't seem to come off with rubbing alcohol. I haven't tried any other cleaning methods, but people should be aware of this.
I think it's best not to use rubbing alcohol or any solvent but rather just a mild soap

The local Tesla gallery recommended using baby wipes, which is what they've been able to use on their test drive vehicles to keep the seats "ultra white".

After 10K miles, our ultra white seats are still ultra white, with no marks. Still so bright, that anyone sitting on the seats for the first time are concerned about getting the seats dirty when they sit!

Baby wipes have no effect. I tried that before using rubbing alcohol. Baby wipes work fine for "immediate" stains of things spilled/wiped on seats. Dye transfer is a different matter. I'm still investigating a solution for this.

The most notable transfer is at the bottom insides of the seat back, which would be against my waist/hip. I can also see some minor transfer on the seat bottom, which would be against the back of my legs. Neither would be visible when looking from a few feet away, but within a foot I can see it on the most notable areas. Given the relatively low amount of use of the vehicle in general (while wearing dark-colored jeans), I can see how this will become more and more problematic over years of ownership and/or more frequent dark jean wearing.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
I think it's best not to use rubbing alcohol or any solvent but rather just a mild soap

Correction. It looks like isopropyl alcohol is recommended for stubborn stains:

https://intranet.ultrafabricsinc.com/img/pages/care_and_cleaning/CleaningInstructions.pdf

Recommended Cleaning Instructions for Ultrafabrics®

One of the best ways to keep Ultrafabrics looking great is through proper maintenance and regular cleaning to prevent excessive dirt from accumulating.

To help keep your quality fabrics looking their best, follow these guidelines to extend the life of the fabric:
• Wipe up spills as soon as they occur
Clean with soap and water or alcohol based cleaners
• Sanitize using disinfectants such as (1:5) bleach/water solution
For stubborn stains, wipe off with isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible*
• Thoroughly rinse all solution residue with clean water
• Air dry

This information is not a guarantee. Please use all cleaning and disinfecting agents safely and as instructed. The use of other cleaning agents, disinfectants, conditioners or protectants is not recommended and can degrade fabric’s performance and may void Ultrafabrics warranty. Ultraleather® | Pro note: A variety of clothing and accessories may contain dyes that could transfer to lighter colors, depending upon variations in temperature and humidity. Dye transfer is difficult to control, not always fully preventable, and may be irreversible. Fabric may not protect against intentional stains or permanent inks. *This also applies to the removal of most ballpoint inks from Ultraleather® | Pro​