Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How autonomous vehicles will change our mindset

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
Interesting discussion. “Why do pedestrians don’t jaywalk - because there might be a driver out there who is crazy and doesn’t watch out” In a world where there are only autonomous cars everyone would jaywalking heck pedestrians would not even watch out because they know that autonomous cars would stop anyway. ‘The most profound change is not for the autonomous cars but for other member in traffic.”

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
Terre Haute, IN USA
Interesting discussion. “Why do pedestrians don’t jaywalk - because there might be a driver out there who is crazy and doesn’t watch out” In a world where there are only autonomous cars everyone would jaywalking heck pedestrians would not even watch out because they know that autonomous cars would stop anyway. ‘The most profound change is not for the autonomous cars but for other member in traffic.”

I am not sure I agree that pedestrians don't jaywalk because they know human drivers might run them over. Certainly, most humans know not to cross the street in front of traffic. We teach young children to look both ways before crossing a street. But in big cities like NYC, where people are in a hurry, they still jay walk all the time despite the risk. And I am pretty sure human drivers are still legally expected not to hit jay walkers. However, it is true that people would probably jay walk more with AVs if they knew that AVs were incapable of hitting them.

Obviously, we don't want AVs to be completely paralyzed in the middle of the road at the mere sight of a pedestrian or cyclist. But AVs should be safe around vulnerable road users. They should never hit them. If AVs reduce the number of pedestrians or cyclists hit or killed by cars, that's a good thing. I don't like the idea that AVs should be made less safe just because humans could take advantage of them. The solution is not to make AVs be dicks on the road. The solution is to punish humans who jay walk or purposely block traffic.

Reactions: Dutchie

Microterf

Sep 18, 2020
Ohio
I am not sure I agree that pedestrians don't jaywalk because they know human drivers might run them over. Certainly, most humans know not to cross the street in front of traffic. We teach young children to look both ways before crossing a street. But in big cities like NYC, where people are in a hurry, they still jay walk all the time despite the risk. And I am pretty sure human drivers are still legally expected not to hit jay walkers. However, it is true that people would probably jay walk more with AVs if they knew that AVs were incapable of hitting them.

Obviously, we don't want AVs to be completely paralyzed in the middle of the road at the mere sight of a pedestrian or cyclist. But AVs should be safe around vulnerable road users. They should never hit them. If AVs reduce the number of pedestrians or cyclists hit or killed by cars, that's a good thing. I don't like the idea that AVs should be made less safe just because humans could take advantage of them. The solution is not to make AVs be dicks on the road. The solution is to punish humans who jay walk or purposely block traffic.
Maybe the traffic cops instead of being laid off will transition into pedestrian police.

Reactions: Hbrink

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC