Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Autopilot Relates to EVs Emitting Noise For Safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I've been thinking about how the autopilot sensors will be used, and one thing I'm not sure too many of you have considered is that the 360 degree sensors around the car can potentially be utilized as a component of a smart pedestrian safety system.

As many of you may recall, there has been a push towards forcing EVs to make noise at low speeds so that pedestrians will be alerted to their presence. I have been an avid opponent to this for a variety of reasons. However, some time ago Elon talked about how a more intelligent system could be developed that would only emit noise when a pedestrian is near the car, possibly only emitting noise in the direction of the pedestrian as well. I thought this was a suitable compromise that I could support. But would that ever be possible? In comes autopilot and an array of sensors around the car. Is Elon and company thinking of using these not just for autopilot, but for a smart pedestrian warning system as well? Personally, I hope so.