Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad did my SA lie to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Went in for a test drive last weekend in Sacramento, finished, and walked in to talk to my SA. He mentions that EDDs are March and asks when I was looking to get my vehicle. Being that I was expecting to have to wait until March 2021, I was surprised and asked if it was possible to get a model Y sooner.

He says yes, possibly on Monday (today), and walks me over to input my info into the system. He confirms the specs of what I'm looking for, collects the $250, and says the more colors I'm open to, the higher the probability of receiving a car within the next few days. I provided this list to him. He said he'd be in touch (he has not contacted me).

Now reviewing the thread on timing between Order and Delivery, it appears this guy probably lied pretty hard to my wife and I. It's my understanding that they don't work on commission but what the hell? Is there any chance in hell that he can actually get me a car in the next few days?

....Is there any chance in hell that he can actually get me a car in the next few days?

A precise delivery date has been unpredictable in normal time and I would not count on it during the pandemics either.

That said, Tesla makes batches of cars. Some for exports and some for the US and their batch might match your specifications. If that occurs, there's a good chance you would get your car in days, not weeks.

A precise delivery date has been unpredictable in normal time and I would not count on it during the pandemics either.

That said, Tesla makes batches of cars. Some for exports and some for the US and their batch might match your specifications. If that occurs, there's a good chance you would get your car in days, not weeks.
Especially at the end of a financial quarter - like now.

That makes me a little more optimistic.

But... based on the Order Tracker, 4% of the Y's ordered since Sept 1 have been delivered. So still not sure how receiving a car in days, not weeks, is remotely possible.

I spoke with my SA yesterday interested in gaining possession of an inventory car but they are not doing deliveries so have to go to Bay Area to get one which doesn't work. Furthermore, any changes to current build will push car back to March

They may not make money off of commission but they must be rewarded somehow for each sign up.

If he did blatantly lie to me, which it appears he probably did, that's pretty unethical and ****ed up.

I'll keep this thread updated if anything happens.

then I am not sure how you will get a car before March unless you happen to get very lucky and someone in line ahead of you with the exact same spec refuses a VIN

All it takes is for someone's financing to not go through, insurance to not be ready, etc, and the car is then up for grabs.

Seeing as how we are just days away from the end of the quarter, where there is a big push to get as many sales on the books as possible, a little flexibility those last few days in September could easily get you a car quite quickly.

Like others have said, befriending an SA and being ready for pick up at short notice has happened not once here.

So.. my story is going to be an outlier for sure, but I wanted to give some hope to the OP. I test drove a 3 and a Y on the weekend of Aug 13/14. The following Friday, August 20, I finally pulled the trigger on a 5-seat, midnight silver, 19" gemini, black interior, long range model. My expected delivery date (according to the SA) was late Jan/Feb, even though the website had said December. I had asked what the likelihood of getting one sooner is, and the SA warned me it was extremely slim, and that someone

Fast forward to September 1, and my SA has a customer that has been assigned a VIN and postponed delivery. I'm not sure how many other people were given the opportunity to purchase before me, but it was offered to me. The vehicle wasn't even in my state (Virginia) yet. Same specs I ordered, except they had 20" Inductions instead of 19" Geminis. It was $2k more, but I went for it. Took delivery a week ago. From order to delivery was 25 days.

Important Note: I believe the original customer postponed delivery to wait until after October 1, when Virginia will institute an EV rebate of $2500. To me it was worth it to get it earlier.

So.. my story is going to be an outlier for sure, but I wanted to give some hope to the OP. I test drove a 3 and a Y on the weekend of Aug 13/14. The following Friday, August 20, I finally pulled the trigger on a 5-seat, midnight silver, 19" gemini, black interior, long range model. My expected delivery date (according to the SA) was late Jan/Feb, even though the website had said December. I had asked what the likelihood of getting one sooner is, and the SA warned me it was extremely slim, and that someone

Fast forward to September 1, and my SA has a customer that has been assigned a VIN and postponed delivery. I'm not sure how many other people were given the opportunity to purchase before me, but it was offered to me. The vehicle wasn't even in my state (Virginia) yet. Same specs I ordered, except they had 20" Inductions instead of 19" Geminis. It was $2k more, but I went for it. Took delivery a week ago. From order to delivery was 25 days.

Important Note: I believe the original customer postponed delivery to wait until after October 1, when Virginia will institute an EV rebate of $2500. To me it was worth it to get it earlier.

Sorry, my thought got cut off in the first paragraph. I meant to say:

I had asked what the likelihood of getting one sooner is, and the SA warned me it was extremely slim, and that many people in front of me would have to forego taking delivery of a very similarly-spec'd vehicle in order for me to get a car early.

Turns out I think that's exactly what happened.