Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad is the NAV, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with all the above. Not perfect but much better than my wife's Subaru. Perfectly adequate for my needs. One thing I have noticed is that the big screen seems to default to a rather zoomed out overview and when I zoom in it doesn't automatically shift to follow my progress. The dash instructions do obviously keep showing the route.
If you zoom using the +/- buttons, it will keep following. If you pinch, it won't.

If you zoom using the +/- buttons, it will keep following. If you pinch, it won't.
Unfortunately there isn't any way AFAIK to set it up to keep following the car, but not center the car icon. I'd like to offset it to show more where I'm going than where I've been, however, I do live in the Northern Hemisphere. I can understand that people living in Oz might prefer the opposite, so I guess Tesla just had to compromise and keep it centered.

The nav is horrendous. I regularly go to the airport. Enter Melbourne Airport and it routes you around the back of the airport and directs you onto the runway....

I went up to the dandenongs from the eastern suburbs. It picked an interesting path and I assumed it was one of the lessor known roads. Found out it wanted me to go up a fire track...

From the dandenongs I wanted to go to a local picnic spot. It directed me down a steep road where signs said it was a dead end and last chance to turn around. Got to the end and there was a creek with the next road on the other side of the creek. Zoomed in on the nav and you could see that the road ended, and then the creek. Yet the nav plotted the blue line directly across the creek as if it didn't exist. Maybe it expects you to jump it....

The estimated times on the nav are always ideal times. If I plot a path to my work from home during the morning peak then it'll still say 25 mins, even though at peak it is an hour.

At the end of the day it's easier just to use google maps or waze on your phone. Eventually it'll get patched in an update but for now it is better left alone.
Thats really strange with the timing, mine is usually right to the minute.

I've found it better than the Lexus I owned before this. The Lexus was very good but I found entering a destination tedious plus it kept taking me the long way and even though I'd take some streets I knew to save 5+ km's, however the next time it would do exactly the same thing. The Tesla is much simpler to enter destinations plus it's routes seem to be more realistic. The Tesla / Google traffic congestion seems to be very accurate as well - does anyone know how it figures it out? Seems to be accurate for small country intersections etc as well..

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm having trouble with traffic based routing. It seems like there is none. I have searched a few forums and people mention an option in the settings -> apps -> navigation for adjusting the number of minutes saved before rerouting. But there is no such option on my MS (see photo).
The other day there was a major accident on the motor way. Google rerouted and even had the incident icon. The MS drove straight into the traffic congestion. The difference in ETA between Google and Tesla was over 15 minutes.
Am I missing something? Are there differences between the US and Australia and New Zealand?
Thanks, Marty.
20160821_090308-800x450.jpg

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm having trouble with traffic based routing.
In my experience there is none. All nav decisions are made by Navigon which is running on the driver's screen. They are not made by Google maps running on the main touchscreen.

It's a shame because the traffic tiles obviously work with Google maps on the main touch screen. I find on my commute into the city I can enable autopilot on the freeway and then manually zoom around the google maps to get an idea of the traffic on various routes and then pick one by the end of the freeway.

After a while I gave up though, just far easier to use Waze. Gives realistic times, adjusts for traffic and incidents on the fly. Has proven very effective.

Navigon system is a complete joke. Maybe it works somewhat ok in USA but is next to useless in Australia on anything other than empty streets.

In my experience there is none.

This must be a problem with the Australia system, because there definitely is traffic-aware routing in the US... I've used it many many times. On a recent 2000 mile trip, it routed me around several long delays on the main highways (see image below). I would escalate this to your local Tesla reps to fix it, or get it working. If traffic is available from Google down there, it can't be that hard to actually make it work.

upload_2016-8-20_19-45-14.png

I have also seen this in Brisbane (Oz) where it routed me on back streets to avoid a clog on the freeway.
My main problem is the nav freezing up; gets half way to where I want to go and just stops working - very annoying.

So do you have the option in settings -> apps -> nav for rerouting time settings?
Have you ever had a pop-up asking you if you want to reroute?

m