Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad is this damage; what are my options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to run a body shop. This is not a simple push out. The upper portion of the impact appears to be right below a body line at the panel top that seriously creased the upper panel line and moved it. The lower panel line has also been creased (and cracked?), by a more direct impact. The metal from top to bottom of impact has been stretched. Complicate the whole thing by placing it on a curved area.

When body lines and panel edges get involved in the impact, the degree of difficulty for repair rises exponentially. If you take this to anyone for a repair that does not include panel replacement, I cannot stress enough that you make sure they are VERY experienced with aluminum repairs. This repair would be a major pain even if it was a steel panel.

not sure what happenned under the paint but it looks as same as i had
you just need to take it to check at an aluminium garage ( dunno how to translate "carrossier" from french :p )
they removed 1 pannel, fixed it , repainted it ( by scanning original paint to reproduce exact color ) all in less than a day
but at least the car should be checked
on the other side , the worstcase is replace body ( at least 1 maybe not 2 ) repaint , control ultrasonic radars and change the lights
so it could vary from 1k to ... maybe 5 i dont think much more

/cross fingers for u ^^

• Informative
Reactions: KneeCola
So it finally happened :-( after years of keeping my S spotless my wife backed up my beauty into a parking lot pillar.

The damage seems to be limited to rear brake light outer cover and the metal part just below it. the brake light still work.

Can the metal part be pushed back into its original shape and touch up paint applied to fix this? OR the whole part needs replacement?

Regarding the light, is the outer cover replaceable OR do I need to replace the whole brake light assembly?

Any one with similar experience? and approximate cost and is it advisable to go to local body shop instead of service center (I heard they have a huge backlog).

:"(

Bummer that this happened, but the good thing is that everyone is safe!

It looks like you will need the rear quarter panel replaced, but we can't be sure until inspecting it in person.

The one piece of good news that we can offer is that this part is a lot more available than it used to and that we actually have one in stock.

Please let us know if we can be helpful in any way.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yup, new quarter panel aka not cheap. It's not a bolt-on fender, it's welded to the frame in multiple places.

Go through your insurance and just get her fixed at an authorized body shop. Since the car is still drivable, just wait until they get ALL the parts in before they start any of the work.

Reactions: DC Autocraft
That is nothing. Any body shop can fix it and you will never know. I have owned an auto dealership and body shop. Replace the taillight and repair the quarter and bumper, paint and blend and it will look perfect again. It doesn't matter if it is aluminum, there are many vehicles with aluminum panels today, the F150 is almost all aluminum. It will take longer to get the light than the work will take.

story so far...

Talked to few body shop/PDR shops to get an estimate of the damage. Few of the smaller PDR guys said won't do coz of the small tear. But couple of body shop guys said this can be fixed. These are guys with good reviews on yelp and other forums and one of them showed me similar job done on exact same spot on other (much worst damaged) MS. The quote I got are the same from two shops and still waiting to hear back from the Tesla approved body shop in Santa Monica. But he too mentioned that it can be repaired and no need to change the Qtr panel. I still need to go to another body shop approved by my insurance to get an estimate tomorrow. after that will finally decide which route to take.

So the verdict is that the small tear in the bottom corner is repairable+replace tail lamp assembly.

Any idea where can I get reliable right side tail light assembly for a reasonable price :)? Ebay, tesla service center any other website?

Will keep posting more updates as I deal with the actual repair,cost+experience and a final after photo.

Reactions: DC Autocraft
story so far...

Talked to few body shop/PDR shops to get an estimate of the damage. Few of the smaller PDR guys said won't do coz of the small tear. But couple of body shop guys said this can be fixed. These are guys with good reviews on yelp and other forums and one of them showed me similar job done on exact same spot on other (much worst damaged) MS. The quote I got are the same from two shops and still waiting to hear back from the Tesla approved body shop in Santa Monica. But he too mentioned that it can be repaired and no need to change the Qtr panel. I still need to go to another body shop approved by my insurance to get an estimate tomorrow. after that will finally decide which route to take.

So the verdict is that the small tear in the bottom corner is repairable+replace tail lamp assembly.

Any idea where can I get reliable right side tail light assembly for a reasonable price :)? Ebay, tesla service center any other website?

Will keep posting more updates as I deal with the actual repair,cost+experience and a final after photo.

I remember ther was a guy on this forum that parted out complete brand new Tesla cars that were used for crash testing.

story so far...

Glad to hear that you can get the work done at a regular body shop ... let us know how the quote compares to the Tesla shop.

Tesla Model S 85 (2012-2015) OEM Passenger Side Rear Tail Light # 6005919-00-D

2013 2014 2015 2016 TESLA MODEL S RIGHT REAR TAIL LIGHT | eBay

So it finally happened :-( after years of keeping my S spotless my wife backed up my beauty into a parking lot pillar.

The damage seems to be limited to rear brake light outer cover and the metal part just below it. the brake light still work.

Can the metal part be pushed back into its original shape and touch up paint applied to fix this? OR the whole part needs replacement?

Regarding the light, is the outer cover replaceable OR do I need to replace the whole brake light assembly?

Any one with similar experience? and approximate cost and is it advisable to go to local body shop instead of service center (I heard they have a huge backlog).

:"(

Personally, I'd just get that cleaned up. I wouldn't bother with panel replacement. Replace the tail lamp, maybe try to straighten out the dent a little if it seems viable, and buff out the scratches as much as possible. But then, I'm a flyover country hobo, so whatever that's worth to ya.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Every professional repairer says that alu is too difficult to fix. I really have difficulty with that. If there is a tear in the metal, why can it not be closed with a weld and grind? Repairers seem to have forgotten that their trade used to be called "panel beater". None of them want to beat panels any more. Steel, alu, makes no difference. The bumper is repairable. The tail light needs to be replaced.
They will also tell you the entire panel needs to be resprayed and possibly also the adjacent panels in order to get a good blend-in. Call me skeptical but REALLY?

Reactions: KneeCola
Personally, I'd just get that cleaned up. I wouldn't bother with panel replacement. Replace the tail lamp, maybe try to straighten out the dent a little if it seems viable, and buff out the scratches as much as possible. But then, I'm a flyover country hobo, so whatever that's worth to ya.

Thats what I did with all of my previous cars (cough*driven by my beloved*cough ;-) ). didn't bother to fix minor dents as meh! they r just cars. Point A to Point B stuff, will always get scratches and dings..
But not my Tesla.....

And thats why body shops love charging tesla owners premium for anything. Your weakness is their $$$$cha ching...

I say if insurance is paying for it do it right. I can tell you because of those creases, you will probably always see a waive in the paint if they just try to fix it what is there. The downside to all of this is carfax will always show repair to quarter panel which regardless of how they do it is going to going to significantly impact the resell value of your car.

Just be aware that for every "panel beater" who has the talent to properly repair that, there are probably at least 50 who will... bang the edges in, grind the paint off, slap a half inch of bondo on it, sand it smooth, and paint it. You'll likely be none the wiser by looking at it. Doesn't mean it was done right. I've taken the paint off enough cars to know there are a lot of shops out there that will take the best of cars and fix them like a cheap beater.