Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad is this tire damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my rear tire on the passenger side. Is this fixable, or should it be replaced? Thanks!

IMG_1791 - Copy.jpg

I concur with the consensus- too close to the sidewall to likely be repairable and if it's not deep enough to cause a leak it's certainly deep enough to impair structural integrity and potentially blow out at some point.
You get cuts in tires all the time. You just don’t know it, unless it leaks.

If it didn’t puncture deep enough to leak the tire is structurally fine.

Wouldn’t think twice about running it, if it didn’t get punctured.

The damaged tyre does not meet the DOT safety standard for safe driving, therefore no Tyre shop in the US will repair it as they can be held liable if something goes wrong It does not meet. My suggestion is replace it - have peace of mind and enjoy driving your car.

Thanks guys for your inputs!

Just came back from Costco, where I bought the tires. The tech took a look and then had his supervisor over. The sup said the location of the puncture made it irreparable. He removed the screw and did the soap water tests; there's no sign of leaking. I asked him if the integrity of the tire may be compromised given its proximity to the sidewall. He said it's not leaking and the screw appeared to go through the tread block only, the tire should be fine. He did mention that if the pressure goes down in the future, then I should bring it back and the road hazard warranty will cover the replacement (leaking is a necessary condition for warranty claims).

Now I REALLY miss the tire pressure card from the early days of the Model 3 UI.

Just came back from Costco, where I bought the tires. The tech took a look and then had his supervisor over. The sup said the location of the puncture made it irreparable. He removed the screw and did the soap water tests; there's no sign of leaking. I asked him if the integrity of the tire may be compromised given its proximity to the sidewall. He said it's not leaking and the screw appeared to go through the tread block only, the tire should be fine. He did mention that if the pressure goes down in the future, then I should bring it back and the road hazard warranty will cover the replacement (leaking is a necessary condition for warranty claims).

Good deal, since it's only through the tread block. You're good to go!

I’m glad you had it checked by an expert....a Tesla is a heavy, fast car and I would always err on the side of caution

With tires, I've always done the simple equation of what will it cost if it fails vs what will it cost to replace it. Obviously the variation between those two numbers are significant, so I always replace. But that's me, everyone is different.

Exactly what I said :)

I’m glad you had it checked by an expert....a Tesla is a heavy, fast car and I would always err on the side of caution
Yeah, those Costco supervisors have 4 year degrees in tire physics, a min 2 internships at places like Goodyear, Michelin, must do their road residency at places like AAA and 4000 hours of tire repairs.

No touching soapy water until year 3 and 1 internship.