Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Best to Sell 2015 60 kwh w/Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine the best way to sell our 2015 60kwh w/Autopilot. I have gotten a quote from Tesla, however since it was an inventory car they are wanting to give me less to buy it back. I have found that most other dealerships do not know how to appraise the car. There was one 2015 60 that sold at the auction recently for $54-$55k, but I do not know what options it had or didn't have. I am thinking of trying somewhere in the low to mid $60s.

We have 21k miles on ours.
White
Pano Roof
19" Rims
Tan Leather
Glossy Obeche Wood Decor
Supercharging Enabled
Dual Chargers
Tech Package w/Autopilot

I am thinking of Craigslist and maybe Autotrader or Cars.com.

Any other recommendations?

I have heard several stories on this, but it is difficult to get a straight answer. The best I can determine is that they base the value of your car on what you paid for it. The problem with this method is that the exact same car can be worth very different amounts depending on the price you paid.

From https://ev-cpo.com/ the following are for sale that are similar. Your best comp is going to be a new vehicle.

Inventory: 2016 S60, 50 miles, NO Pano for $73,700 less Tax Credit.

Certified Pre Owned: 2015 P85D, 46,590 miles, Sound, Suspension and Subzero for $89,500 (CPO Warranty) --- This is the only 2015/2016 listed

Certified Pre Owned: 2014 P85+, 19,262 miles, Sound, Suspension and Subzero, 21" rims for $78,000 (CPO Warranty)

2w70rcn.jpg

Do you think if you had taken delivery 45 days later price would be higher?

This was an inventory car build in March 2015, so yes.

If this car had been delivered (custom ordered) in December vs build in January it would have been the same price (ordered from Tesla), but on resale, yes there would be a big difference. Shows how broken the model years are. Just my opinion.

Anyone taking delivery now on a custom order 2016 will find their car 1 year old in a few months. Only matters if you are trying to sell like I am though.

What I am trying to find is the best way to sell it private party. Trading it in to Tesla has no additional benefits to me (financially for tax savings) as we are going to a lease and the sales tax savings does not carry over. Assuming it is sold private party where should it be listed, and what would be the 'reasonable' asking price.

What I am trying to find is the best way to sell it private party. Trading it in to Tesla has no additional benefits to me (financially for tax savings) as we are going to a lease and the sales tax savings does not carry over. Assuming it is sold private party where should it be listed, and what would be the 'reasonable' asking price.

Based on my recent trade-in discussions with Tesla, they will add $6000 to the price they gave me, so the upper limit ask would be what Tesla could ask.

Even then, the CPO from Tesla would have a 4 year 50,000 mile limited warranty.

Ebay is good.
Craig'sList
Autotrader

AutoTrader was my go-to but they just don't get the traffic they used to and you pay the listing fee up front. I recently sold a rather expensive car and got a ton of interest using eBay and only 'scam' offers with AutoTrader. The best part about eBay is you only pay if the vehicle sells and that's only if the transaction actually takes place via eBay.

Additionally, throwing the car up on Craigslist can't hurt nor does putting it up here on TMC or by posting in your local Tesla Owners / Enthusiasts group.

Of course, if you put the car up for sale here, you'll get several people chiming in on how it's overpriced. ;)

Keep in mind this is an inventory vehicle so it's highly probable you paid less than the quote you gave us. This is why Tesla is offering lower than typical. Factor in the $7500 tax credit, you will get a picture of why everyone is offering those prices.

Also if this 60 is really the 60KWh battery, most likely since it's a 2015, and not the new S60 that is actually the 75KWh, then it becomes even less desirable. The new S60/D can charge to 100% all the time compared to the old S60.

I would say you take Tesla's offer because IMO, that is as good as it will get. Good luck in your sale.