Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How best to set up my garage 100 amp sub panel for EV charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original plan was to just run a 60 amp breaker from our 100 amp subpanel to our Tesla Wall connector and call it a day. But there is a good chance that we will eventually get a second EV. So does it make sense to plan for the future now? Would it make any sense to run a plug off a 30 amp breaker for future use? And if so, what plug do I use? Or should I just get 2 50 amp breakers and connect the Tesla Wall Connector to one of the breakers and a Nema 14-50 to the second one? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
The Tesla wall charger looks a million times better than a NEMA outlet and the adapter cable. Highly recommend that.

Then you just run a 220 circuit from your breaker panel to where you want to mount it.

If you sleep during the night, you'll wake up to a fully charged car in the morning with 24 amps only. The wall charger limits the draw to about 6 amps less than the rated circuit amperage.

We had the power already in the garage from an old water heater and I thought about getting a bigger breaker, but there is no rush. Unless you are only ever home for an hour, 30 amps is great.

The next part is totally heresay but I think I've seen that the battery lasts longer when it charges slowly. Maybe that's not true, I don't know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• 20220929_175702.jpg
    20220929_175702.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 291
Thanks for the responses. After a bit of research into the matter, we decided to just install a Tesla wall connector on a 60 amp breaker from the 100 amp sub panel for now. in the future if we get a second EV, we will install a second 60 amp breaker and wall charger and have them power share.

Reactions: Eric33432
Thanks for the responses. After a bit of research into the matter, we decided to just install a Tesla wall connector on a 60 amp breaker from the 100 amp sub panel for now. in the future if we get a second EV, we will install a second 60 amp breaker and wall charger and have them power share.
What other loads do you have on this sub panel , in addition to 60 amp wall charger ?
If you have other loads, how did you do the load calculation to ascertain that adding 60 amp OCPD is code compliant .

I have a situation where my sub panel is fed on a 100 amp circuit , coming from 200 amp main outside panel. The sub panel has other loads , like dryer, electric oven ( the two 240v loads ) and bunch of other 110v lighting and kitchen circuits typical of a 3375 sq feet home. When I do a load calculation for just this sub panel following the guidelines published here, I find sub panel overloaded . I find this very strange , as I keep reading everywhere that 200 amp service is much more than enough to install wall charger.

What other loads do you have on this sub panel , in addition to 60 amp wall charger ?
If you have other loads, how did you do the load calculation to ascertain that adding 60 amp OCPD is code compliant .

I have a situation where my sub panel is fed on a 100 amp circuit , coming from 200 amp main outside panel. The sub panel has other loads , like dryer, electric oven ( the two 240v loads ) and bunch of other 110v lighting and kitchen circuits typical of a 3375 sq feet home. When I do a load calculation for just this sub panel following the guidelines published here, I find sub panel overloaded . I find this very strange , as I keep reading everywhere that 200 amp service is much more than enough to install wall charger.
Houses equipped with 200 amps are most often able to support a full power (11.5 kW) EVSE, but if you want to connect an EVSE to a 100 and sub panel you do not have 200 amps to work with, just 100 amps on your sub panel, and it does not surprise me at all that it cannot support that, but it might (or might not) support a 20 or 30 amp 240 volt circuit for your EVSE.

Is it convenient to connect your EVSE into your 200 amp main panel? If it is, then you have the full 200 amps to work with.

My son has a similar setup. His outdoor meter and main panel was installed on the outside wall of the garage, so it was relatively easy to run a circuit through the wall into the garage. He installed a 50 amp circuit for his EVSE to the outdoor panel, which has space for six 2-pole breakers (and an empty space was available for the 50 amp breaker), and ran a circuit using #8 THHN in PVC conduit to his Tesla Wall Connector.

Works fine for keeping their two Model 3s charged up. Of course the TWC is set for a 50 amp breaker, and 40 amp charging.