Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Big a solar system to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!
As my family eagarly awaits our model 3, we are looking at getting a solar system for our house. We have a large south facing roof, so the question is, how big do I need to go. I know that is a complex question, but since I know next to nothing about solar, I was hoping some folks could give me some things to think about. Is it as easy as "as big as you can afford"! or is there more too it then that? Here in Washington the electric rates are tiered, with the first 800Kw a month being cheap, but then they expensive quickly after that. I would love your thoughts!
You can't get much useful info from this bunch here because we don't know your usage, your PoCo's rules on net metering, nor the various billing plans available to you. As some have already posted, most PoCos are not happy with net metering and they won't pay you more than 2 or 3 cents per kWh for excess generation.

The only advice I can give is to contact at least three reputable local solar installers and avoid Solar City. Of all solar providers I contacted, they were the absolute worst.

I also live in the Pacific North Wet (although you live on the "dry side" of the state). I've helped a few on here (including Brianman) investigate solar in Washington State. I will PM you so you can call and chat.

Since you got a few serious answers can I just give my first thought without offending?

I'd go for one at least 300 million km (186 million mi) since that is how big the orbit of the earth is (diameter not radius). Too many issues with living in a smaller solar system.

That was literally my first thought when I read your thread title.
I had exactly same initial interpretation