Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How big is Model 3 total cargo space?

TTTTTTT

Oct 29, 2017
San Jose
From tesla website the cargo space is 15 cu. feet. and my current car is a 2016 Honda Civic, which has 15.7 cu. feet. Originally I thought the trunk cargo size on Model 3 would thus be smaller, because the 15 is already smaller than 15.7 and the 15 cu. feet would include both frunk, trunk, and the small hole beneath them to store the accessories.

However, from the detailed model 3 owner club video, it seems the trunk size is pretty decent and not that much smaller than a normal civic trunk. So I would like to know if the Model 3 total cargo size of 15 cu. feet include both frunk and trunk and the holes beneath them, or is Tesla just referring to the trunk space itself.

I would like to know because I dont want to step back to much on the storage side to go from a civic to a entry level luxury sedan. Thanks.

DR61

Apr 14, 2016
Gold River, CA
The way different makers specify cargo space is quite variable, so it is an open question whether your current car has more or less usable cargo space compared to the Model 3. I doubt myself whether the cubby below the actual trunk is included in the Tesla spec, or the frunk for that matter. The recent video posted elsewhere on this site has some measurements of the actual trunk dimensions. Here is an interesting read on the subject:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/03/why-cargo-specs-can-stretch-the-truth/

aronth5

Long Time Follower
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
The way different makers specify cargo space is quite variable, so it is an open question whether your current car has more or less usable cargo space compared to the Model 3. I doubt myself whether the cubby below the actual trunk is included in the Tesla spec, or the frunk for that matter. The recent video posted elsewhere on this site has some measurements of the actual trunk dimensions. Here is an interesting read on the subject:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/03/why-cargo-specs-can-stretch-the-truth/

From Tesla's web site the 15 cubic feet includes both the trunk and frunk.
Model 3

cargo capacity.PNG

PaulJB

Feb 2, 2016
Denver
From tesla website the cargo space is 15 cu. feet. and my current car is a 2016 Honda Civic, which has 15.7 cu. feet. Originally I thought the trunk cargo size on Model 3 would thus be smaller, because the 15 is already smaller than 15.7 and the 15 cu. feet would include both frunk, trunk, and the small hole beneath them to store the accessories.

However, from the detailed model 3 owner club video, it seems the trunk size is pretty decent and not that much smaller than a normal civic trunk. So I would like to know if the Model 3 total cargo size of 15 cu. feet include both frunk and trunk and the holes beneath them, or is Tesla just referring to the trunk space itself.

I would like to know because I dont want to step back to much on the storage side to go from a civic to a entry level luxury sedan. Thanks.

Given that the most recent M3OC in-depth review video gives actual measurements, I suggest you measuring your current Civic and compare to the actual measurements in the video. That will give you actual apples-to-apples comparisons.

Its my belief, given other information provided by Tesla, that Tesla is holding back on some of their specs and that the Model 3 is/will be better than advertised.

Reactions: DR61

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC