Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How big of a deal is postponing your order?

flyingcasual

Jan 15, 2021
Kansas City
We ordered a SR MY with seven seats this week and are expecting delivery between 1/24 - 2/16. Even though we are incredibly excited, we are considering postponing the order a month or two to sell our other car and move money around. It’s not something we have to do, just considering it.

Other than extending the wait, are there any other penalties from Tesla? From the purchase agreement I believe we technically have three months from original delivery date to actually take delivery before they would claim damages. I’m curious what your experiences have been with postponing. Thanks!

Giraffe950

Nov 16, 2020
USA
Nah I've been postponing my order since October. Ready to finally pull the trigger now that the heated wheel is out. Just message the service center and tell them when you want to get a vin.

EchoDelta

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2012
RootedNW.org, Seattle, Planet Earth
The earlier you can let them know the better.

There is a place in the system where effectively Tesla can specify the not-earlier-than month you want to be matched with a VIN. I called them and set it for March for a 7-seater order.

They will still nudge you before the end of the quarter of course.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC