Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How buying a radar-equipped inventory is meaningful if OTA updates will disable it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to get my MYP delivered, and I want to make sure I haven't missed something.

I've read here and there about people changing their minds and replacing their order by an inventory or second model so they get radar. From what I understand, radar will be disabled in future software updates anyway.

So, what's motivating you guys? Will there be a way to keep a functioning radar?

But wont it be disabled eventually?
correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen or read anything official from tesla saying what rules there are for owners and the vendor, itself, when it comes to updates.

right now, all we know is that there are 2 buttons on the main display and one gets you on a more frequent update track. so far, in the nearly 2 years I've had my 3, there was never a -forced- update. but I dont see anything in writing saying what tesla plans to do, either way.

you cant just disable lte. you can disable wifi, of course. cutting off lte cuts off a lot of what the car needs to level2 itself.

I wish there was a firm and reliable statement from tesla on things like this. of course, they dont say because they want to keep all the options open for THEM. we have zero choice and that's the uncomfort that I often feel with forced updates.

my take: vendors will 'fark around and find out'. eventually. they'll piss off the wrong powerful guy and some new laws will get passed. it will take that, to lock down this 'who owns what' issue. so far, the vendor holds all the cards and I dont feel that's the right balance of power. for a $500 phone, maybe. for a $50k car? no. not acceptable.

I'm about to get my MYP delivered, and I want to make sure I haven't missed something.

I've read here and there about people changing their minds and replacing their order by an inventory or second model so they get radar. From what I understand, radar will be disabled in future software updates anyway.

So, what's motivating you guys? Will there be a way to keep a functioning radar?
Have not seen anywhere Tesla or anyone mentioning that cars currently with Radar - will have it disabled via a OTA update - have you? Only that new y/3 will not have a radar….do you have a link saying Tesla plans to disable current cars with radar via software ?

the lesson I'm taking away from this is: if you have a parts shortage, just live it out and don't fark with the software design just to get past a low point in supply chain.

as a software guy, myself, I dont like being told to redo things for reasons like this.

if tesla stays this course, they either remove functions from working hardware that we bought (creating very bad press and customer relations) or they keep a duality of hobbled cars and non-hobbled cars. and THAT is an even worse nightmare. dont want to buy a hobbled car, new or used, and I expect to get more for my non-hobbled car when I sell it compared to the vision-only cars.

this is a really bad way to do business. its yet another reason why I dislike elon so much. I like a lot about the car, but more and more, I dont like how tesla is running their business and I bet the engineers who work there are not the happiest, either.

Reactions: Platini
I think very very probable they'll disable it, so they don't have to maintain 2 code bases and 2 different technologies. It'd be a surprising waste of r&d resources to maintain 2 different systems in //, and would completely defeat the point of "I'm solving the sensors diversity fusion problem".

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
There's a ton of speculation in this thread, but almost no actual evidence of what Tesla is planning to do. All we know is that they killed radar, and they say that's because "the future is vision". However, I don't remember them saying anything about killing radar in the S or X models, which makes me believe that they are probably not killing it. They are just putting a PR spin on what would otherwise be an incredibly unpopular decision. If they were transitioning all Teslas to vision now, I would believe that it's because they believe they're ready. The fact that they're doing it now, only on the lower end models, with some unarticulated future date for the removal of radar, makes me believe this is entirely about delivering cars and not about the future.

The next FSD is supposedly pure vision, so from software side, they are probably already discounting the radar information so it doesn't matter what hardware you have at that point..
Yes, they are not going to maintain two code bases as no software/hardware company does this. And the PR issues with this. AND that they have stated that there are issues with radar and Vision contradicting each other. Tesla launches features all the time that are not fully ready, some they charge $10k for ;), and at some point radar signals are just going to be discounted as decisions are made. Whether they announce this or not, that is obviously the way they are going from press releases, tweets, earnings calls etc.

Is there any inventory? If so, why are there so many orders not fulfilled?

I tried to check inventory before doing a custom order, but they don't do a nation wide search and I don't have time to type in the zip code for each city in the country to do my own inventory search.

Keith

Yes, they are not going to maintain two code bases as no software/hardware company does this.
Well, Tesla currently do this on a large scale. They have older models that have different hardware that need slightly different software. They are also currently doing exactly this for new vs older M3/Y with and without radar. So yes, they can and do maintain multiple code bases. Will they continue to do this for this specific feature? Nobody knows. Plenty of other hardware companies maintain multiple software versions with enumerable differences in features and capabilities. This is quite common. In fact, it's uncommon to successfully deploy a single universal 'golden release' for all deployed hardware platforms no matter what the product.

Reactions: SantiagoDraco
correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen or read anything official from tesla saying what rules there are for owners and the vendor, itself, when it comes to updates.

The current warranty states that you have to install all updates when they are offered to prevent the possibility of voiding your warranty. So that rule is officially covered. (Though I have yet to see Tesla use that to avoid performing a warranty repair.)