Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can any non-OEM wheels work on the performance model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can any non-OEM wheels work on the performance model when the performance model has the stepped hub with the lip? I just got some wheels from Tire Rack and all they included is a standard centering ring in the wheel. Seems like the centering ring will now just sit against the hub lip and the rest of the hub won’t actually be seated against the wheel center.

So it looks like what Tire Rack does is just make sure the wheel itself can fit over the lip, then supply a centering ring for the proper 64mm smaller part of the hub. Then when you install the wheel the lip pushes the centering ring further into the wheel. Does this seem acceptable? I’m trying to figure out if all it takes is a regular centering ring then why are there all these things online about the stepped rings and special wheels with the lip accounted for in the design. Trying to determine if I should send these back because it’s an improper way to account for the lip, or if it’s okay and I should keep them.