Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I charge a US built Model S in Latvia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you might have heard, Europe consists of several independent countries. Unfortunately, Latvia is not one of those countries where Tesla will officially offer and support the Model S any time soon. Thus, presumably, there's not too much difference in buying it from the US or, e.g., from Germany... Although, admittedly, the charging part would have been easier with a European model.

I was born and raised in Europe, but thanks for the update althesame. Also thank you for making my point: importing a car specced for Germany (for example) must be loads easier than the US.

- - - Updated - - -

When I started the process in September the European delivery dates weren't available yet. The dealer promised to bring it to Latvia by the end of December.
I am pretty sure that even if I placed an official order in September 2012 the car would't be here until the end of 2013. And that would be a waste of 2013 season for me :) I don't really plan to drive model S during winter in Latvia. I honestly don't mind the hustle knowing that I have a whole summer to enjoy the car. Model X will defiantly be ordered in EU :)

YOLO my man. Good for you, enjoy the car.

Do you guys know where VIN number is located? Not the one under the window but the one on the frame of the car?
Here you go:

VINLocationMarked.jpg

I was born and raised in Europe, but thanks for the update althesame. Also thank you for making my point: importing a car specced for Germany (for example) must be loads easier than the US.
Trnsl8r, I apologise. I just couldn't restrain myself from jumping at the opportunity...

Back on topic: My point is a different one.There's no support and no warranty for a Model S in Latvia, regardless where it was bought. Compared to that, I consider the charging issues a minor inconvenience that can be mitigated by a few adapters and some acceptable compromises, e.g., in charging location and charging speed. Thus, my consequence is, if you absolutely must have a Model S in Latvia, you could as well buy from the US and enjoy it earlier.

photo copy.JPG

Got the plates. Still figuring out how to put the one in front. Probably will simply glue it on with double sided tape.
But the driving will have to wait till the 1st of March. :mad: Can't get an inspection ticket without the winter tires till then.

- - - Updated - - -

People certifying the car told me that there got to be VIN number actually impressed into the cars frame and the one under the window is not enough...

How Are the rules In Latvia? You get plates before it is certified?

Did you fix the rear amber turn lights (or was it approved with the US red lights?)?
If so, please post a small video?

Congrats on the car with plates - must feel mighty damn good!

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

After you pay VAT and clear it through customs you get temporary plates for 6 month. During that time you need to get EU certification.
I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. He is going to do certification for me within 2 weeks. I still don't know what the requirements will be. But for 6 month I am OK and can drive like this.

How Are the rules In Latvia? You get plates before it is certified?

Did you fix the rear amber turn lights (or was it approved with the US red lights?)?
If so, please post a small video?

Congrats on the car with plates - must feel mighty damn good!

That is so awesome!
In Norway you get no plates at all before it conforms to a 80 point check list for approval - but you Are eligable to drive on american plates for 30 days assuming insurance is OK (some form-filling required though).

Got the plates. Still figuring out how to put the one in front. Probably will simply glue it on with double sided tape.

There should have been a front plate bracket in the trunk footwell when it was delivered. There's a few people round here with spare ones but it'll probably cost a fortune to send to you.

- - - Updated - - -

WRT to front plates: See this thread Front-License-Plate-Solutions

There should have been a front plate bracket in the trunk footwell when it was delivered. There's a few people round here with spare ones but it'll probably cost a fortune to send to you.
Don't think that would help much as the US plates are of a different size than the EU ones.
Are really these brackets being screwed onto the nose cone and making permanent holes or what?
Congrats on getting the license plates btw :smile::biggrin:

Last edited:
That is so awesome!
In Norway you get no plates at all before it conforms to a 80 point check list for approval - but you Are eligable to drive on american plates for 30 days assuming insurance is OK (some form-filling required though).

OK the rules have changed in order to get a car certified you can't have temporary registration. So, no more plates till the papers are ready. Should be ready within 7 days.
All I need are the yellow turning lights at the back and a fog light at the back. The electrician is doing it on monday. So far the plan is to put the turning light off completely where the red glass is. And change the bulb from red to yellow where its transparent. Plus put a temporary fog light on duck tape pass the certification and then take it off. Hopefully no holes and no extra lights will be needed.

So, I went by the store today for a quick visit. Wanted to record how they have solved the rear amber flash lights on their own demo cars in Europe.
This is a White Performance model. :)

Video is "processing" at the time of posting this, but it will be availible in a few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the Xenon headlights ? According EU rules you need headlights washer for Xenon headlights. Unless the light density is below 2000 Lumen. In fact the light density is below 2000 Lumen but how can you porve this without the help of Tesla ?

- - - Updated - - -

Have you been able to conntect your car to 3G and GPS ?

- - - Updated - - -

Where the Norvegian guys able to get connectivity ? GPS and 3G ?
how did they manage ?

Hello everyone!

Sorry for being offline for a while. Not much was happening since I started the certification process.

In the process I figured out that the original Tesla lights at the back are impossible to change without reprogramming the software...

It took me some time and money but yesterday I got my plates and all the registrations I need to drive :) Today was the first day I actually drove the car with permanent plates.

The weather was pretty cold lately. Down to -25c at nights and around -5 -10 during the day. I don't have winter tires. But the roads are pretty clear so I gave it a go.

What can I say, it was defiantly worth it. All the extra money I paid, all the trouble when it went into shut down and not having a service to go to, all the registration problems, all the overseas delivery pain. It all just goes away once you start driving it. I absolutely love it. I had my deal of different cars starting from a small Mini to big R class and from hybrids with small consumption to Cayenne with 26l/100km. This car is a next generation. Its like when iphone just came to the market. It gave a completely new standard to the industry. That is what Tesla did in my opinion with model S.

Here is a pic from Riga :)

862138_10151481709123954_1873128401_n.jpg

3G isn't working, so I haven't got internet or navigation. I guess GPS is working but there is no use without internet connection. It does't bothers me much cause I don't really need a map in Riga :) But in the beginning I had reception but without 3G, now the reception is off as well. So, I guess there won't be any firmware updates for me. But I am planning to get in contact with a dealership in Munich and may be once they start servicing European cars solve that issue.