Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I charge a US built Model S in Latvia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to ressurect this long dormant thread but,

I'm curious about using a US based UMC to charge the US Based Model S in europe. I know the UMC is rated for both 50-60 Hz and can handle 230 Volts, but I'm more concerned about the wiring. did you use a NEMA 6-50 adappter and just wire Hot-Hot-Ground, or a 14-50 adapter wired similarly?

I'm thinking of shipping a Model S to Greece which is probably the last country in Europe that Tesla will ever try selling cars. also, because I only need the car in greece 6 months of the year, no modifications are needed for the tail lights etc.

Kalimera,

The U.S. 240V sockets are 120V between each hot phase and neutral. The NEMA 6-50 has 2x hot and ground (shown in green below)
60px-Nema_6-15.svg.png

The Tesla UMC doesn't use Neutral but requires a grounded connection.

Perhaps it will work if you wire Neutral and 230V to the 2 hot connectors of a NEMA 6-50 and protective Earth to ground.

But I'd rather consider an EU Model S instead of an US one. You get Tesla Ranger Service and warranty repairs. You can easily sell the vehicle. You can charge it across all Europe, and if superchargers come to the Autoput (M1), Greece might be connected late in 2015.

Edit: Additional benefit for EU car is GSM connectivity which is quite essential for many functions of the car.

Last edited:
But I'd rather consider an EU Model S instead of an US one. You get Tesla Ranger Service and warranty repairs. You can easily sell the vehicle. You can charge it across all Europe, and if superchargers come to the Autoput (M1), Greece might be connected late in 2015.

Edit: Additional benefit for EU car is GSM connectivity which is quite essential for many functions of the car.

The EU version supports charging with 400V three-phase, while the US version only supports single phase, and you can use European Mode3 Type2 charging stations. Both are a big plus for charging both at home and on the road.

Thank you both for the replies... The Model S will be used mostly on an island in the Aegean that only has only single phase power so the whole 3 phase thing is kind of a non-issue.. By the time public chargers are built out on the Greek mainland we will all be on our Gen 6 Tesla.

What I need to know is how to use a US UMC with European wiring. I know it can be done but I'm not sure how.

I've spent a bunch of time looking at European EVSE websites but most of the keep their installation manual PDFs under wraps... It's kind of a pain! I know what I want to do can be done. I'm just not sure how.

Thank you both for the replies... The Model S will be used mostly on an island in the Aegean that only has only single phase power so the whole 3 phase thing is kind of a non-issue.. By the time public chargers are built out on the Greek mainland we will all be on our Gen 6 Tesla.

What I need to know is how to use a US UMC with European wiring. I know it can be done but I'm not sure how.

I've spent a bunch of time looking at European EVSE websites but most of the keep their installation manual PDFs under wraps... It's kind of a pain! I know what I want to do can be done. I'm just not sure how.

Any reason why you can't just install a J1772 charger? Or you plan to charge it in multiple places and installing multiple chargers is not practical?

If this is a private installation, just install a NEMA 6-50 receptacle. It needs 200-250 Volts across its hot terminals that are roughly balanced across the safety ground. See Shop Tesla Gear NEMA 6-50 and NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I still don't understand why you don't want to use a European Model S. Seems service would be simpler, resale better, and I believe the European power connector has a single phase mode.

Just so you know, in case you decide and bring the car to Greece, and you want to make a trip to Skopje, Macedonia (Greece's northern neighbor), which is about 250kms north of Thessaloniki, I will be more than happy to offer you free charge in my garage for whatever time you need it. You can take a ferry to Thessaloniki, or Kavala (if you're going to the island of Thassos) and assuming you have the 85kWh battery, you can make it to Skopje on one charge.

The charging solutions that European Roadster owners used should also work for a US Model S. They had 32 or 64 Amp 3-phase connectors installed in their garage, and hooked up to only one of the phases. This provided faster charging than a normal 220 V 16 A household outlet, but it was hard to get approval to hook up only one phase.

For use on the island, just using a normal 220 V 16 A household outlet is likely all you need, for either a US or Euro spec Model S. Even if you drive more miles in a day than can be recharged overnight, an 85 kWh MS will have enough range for several days, and charging will catch up on days that you drive less.

Like others have suggested, the Euro spec would be better for resale, service, and charging during road trips on the Continent.

GSP

Sorry to ressurect this long dormant thread but,

I'm curious about using a US based UMC to charge the US Based Model S in europe. I know the UMC is rated for both 50-60 Hz and can handle 230 Volts, but I'm more concerned about the wiring. did you use a NEMA 6-50 adappter and just wire Hot-Hot-Ground, or a 14-50 adapter wired similarly?

I'm thinking of shipping a Model S to Greece which is probably the last country in Europe that Tesla will ever try selling cars. also, because I only need the car in greece 6 months of the year, no modifications are needed for the tail lights etc.

So you're not permanently importing but "in transit" on US license plates? You need insurance, and you'll be fine with installing US chargers at home. Tell me if 3G roaming works