Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I get Tesla to stage firmware for a DIY part swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping that someone here can help me figure out how to go about getting a firmware deployed and staged so I can replace the charge port on my 2013 P85. I have the new charge port assembly coming from eBay this Saturday and the swap seems pretty straightforward. My only problem is getting g the firmware staged and ready to deploy once the working part has been swapped in. Please any advice from the experts here?

You can submit a service request and ask them to restate the latest firmware to your car (may work), or, you can wait until any new update is sent to your car in the normal course of OTA updates. Once it’s ready to install, don’t install it, but swap parts and THEN push install. That’ll deploy the new charge port and get it working (I believe - never done a charge port, but I’ve done other parts).

Thanks for the lightning fast response! I’m in a tough spot. Because it’s the charge port and the vehicle isn’t charging properly I’m not above to wait until the next OTA update. I need them to push current firmware and have it staged so I can deploy it when I swap the part when it arrives on Saturday. If they don’t/won’t do that I’m in a bind. Any other suggestions you can think of that might increase my chances of them “helping” me out here? I’m sure it’s not a SOP for them to push firmware updates so customers can DIY.

Thanks for the lightning fast response! I’m in a tough spot. Because it’s the charge port and the vehicle isn’t charging properly I’m not above to wait until the next OTA update. I need them to push current firmware and have it staged so I can deploy it when I swap the part when it arrives on Saturday. If they don’t/won’t do that I’m in a bind. Any other suggestions you can think of that might increase my chances of them “helping” me out here? I’m sure it’s not a SOP for them to push firmware updates so customers can DIY.
It’s worth just submitting a service request in your app asking them to restate your existing firmware for a redeploy

Yeah. I’ve already got a service ticket open to get parts ordered for the new charge port and even though I’ve asked twice that the existing firmware get pushed OTA for staging, the customer service guy, William, that I’ve been texting with keeps telling me that I’ve already got the latest firmware installed. Either he’s playing dumb or he doesn’t know what I’m talking about. I think it’s the former.

One other trick you can do. I’m giving these instructions to you from memory, but generally here they are...

Drive to your service center (geofencing is involved here which is why you need to be near a service center). Once there, go to Software on the MCU and hold down your finger on the Model S/P85 logo for a few seconds to open the service code menu. Type in “Service” and the service menu will then appear as an option in the MCU. Then you can request a full firmware restage via a button. It’ll take a while to become ready (you don’t have to wait at the service center) but the key is just to push the request redeploy button.

then do the same code to turn off service mode and drive home.

And you’ll have manually requested a redeploy

Update. FYI. I tried on the phone one last time today to get them to do it OTA. First spoke with my service representative who told me multiple time’s that I had the latest firmware, that I didn’t need an update and they couldn’t push an OTA update to stage on the vehicle. After 10 minutes of going in circles with him and telling him that I knew for a fact that he was wrong he told me, “I’ve had hundreds of service tickets and I’ve never heard of doing something like this.” To which I said, “Please go ask a service tech what I’m taking about.” He came back on the phone, told me that I was right but that he would need to charge me $85 for the OTA firmware push. At that point I asked him to get a manager. The manager said that when the mobile service tech arrived they would have the firmware on their computer and could update it on site. So, long story short is that if I want to do this repair I either need to drive to the service center and attempt what you suggested above or pay the $85. This is a clear attempt to prevent people from doing their own repairs with Tesla knowing full well that their customers who try DIY fixes will still need to rely on them for firmware redeploys. Oh well. Hopefully this thread helps out someone else.

One other trick you can do. I’m giving these instructions to you from memory, but generally here they are...

Drive to your service center (geofencing is involved here which is why you need to be near a service center). Once there, go to Software on the MCU and hold down your finger on the Model S/P85 logo for a few seconds to open the service code menu. Type in “Service” and the service menu will then appear as an option in the MCU. Then you can request a full firmware restage via a button. It’ll take a while to become ready (you don’t have to wait at the service center) but the key is just to push the request redeploy button.

Wanted to say thank you for this nice little Tesla hack! Worked like a charm! Also, to get the car out of service mode, do steps in reverse.

It would appear the only time you need to be near the Service Center is when you attempt to enter service mode. One theoretically should be able to drive to a SC, enter in Service Mode, toggle on/off some Service Mode features, drive home, do whatever one might need (while still in service mode), and then exit service mode when complete.

I didn't try to stay in Service Mode, simply sat in parking lot and requested a complete firmware reinstall; then I exited service mode and drove back home.

Wanted to say thank you for this nice little Tesla hack! Worked like a charm! Also, to get the car out of service mode, do steps in reverse.

It would appear the only time you need to be near the Service Center is when you attempt to enter service mode. One theoretically should be able to drive to a SC, enter in Service Mode, toggle on/off some Service Mode features, drive home, do whatever one might need (while still in service mode), and then exit service mode when complete.

I didn't try to stay in Service Mode, simply sat in parking lot and requested a complete firmware reinstall; then I exited service mode and drove back home.
Exactly

Reactions: kayak1

Has anyone tried this on another car? TM3 or TMY?

I’ve heard that for whatever reason the 3/Y are not geofenced so you can do these steps to put car in/out of service mode from your own house. No need to drive to service center (unless you have S/X).
Remember you have to press the car name logo under the software tab in settings and you have to be at a Tesla service center. I did get a prompt for the password, but it wasn't accepted in my TM3 as I was at home instead.
The message above from @kdday said that the 3/Y didn't need to be at the Service Center. Obviously, that's not the case.