Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I install flashing/strobing brake lights ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Fam

I have 2022 Tesla model 3 and I was interested in installing flashing/strobing brake lights because I was rear-ended 3 times within last 2 years. I figure that more people are distracted on the road and I wanted to see if I can have some kind of warning system to drivers behind me. Can I just change the LED flashing bulbs, if not what other options do I have ?
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

Maybe an additional audio notification will alert distracted drivers. Something like a fart sound perhaps.

But in all seriousness, people still rear end huge semis, ambulances and fire engines with their signals on. Plus I don’t think any “jailbreak” solution is readily available to modify the light behavior so every response to this thread other than “No” is moot.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavyD
Upvote 0
Hi Fam

I have 2022 Tesla model 3 and I was interested in installing flashing/strobing brake lights because I was rear-ended 3 times within last 2 years. I figure that more people are distracted on the road and I wanted to see if I can have some kind of warning system to drivers behind me. Can I just change the LED flashing bulbs, if not what other options do I have ?
There are kits (or at least there were when I looked in 2019) that you splice into the wiring going to the brake lights that will make them strobe. I found kits that claimed they were for the M3 with detailed instructions or videos. I didn't wanna monkey around with that, but if you're a DIYer, then it might not be a big deal.

But as far as I can recall, the strobe effect happened every time the brake lights engaged and wasn't related to deceleration (some kits might come with an accelerometer now. Dunno). If you live in an area where there isn't much traffic then I'd say go for it. If you live in any kind of metro area where you're frequently in stop and go traffic, you're guaranteed to piss off everyone behind you, and more importantly, the strobe effect starts to lose its effectiveness as the guy right behind you will start ignoring it.

Upvote 0
There are kits (or at least there were when I looked in 2019) that you splice into the wiring going to the brake lights that will make them strobe. I found kits that claimed they were for the M3 with detailed instructions or videos. I didn't wanna monkey around with that, but if you're a DIYer, then it might not be a big deal.
The lights are CAN bus devices, so for a device to do this, it needs to actually interrupt that CAN bus and change the command to the lights. This can totally be done, but just pointing out to people that you can't do it with a traditional flasher on the power line.

This device might stop working with a firmware update as well, as Tesla is always messing with CAN messages.
A device this smart could totally also obey deceleration and only flash on heavier braking.

Upvote 0
Until you get a solution, you can simply tap your brake pedal a couple times prior to applying full braking. Will alert the people behind you of your intentions. Caltrans has also done studies that say that many drivers get fixated on blinking lights and plow right into them. Counter to what many people might logically believe.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Upvote 0
Hi Fam

I see folks using this product in CA all the time. It can be attached to the "hitch" area of your rear.

Upvote 0
Why ask me? It's pretty easy to find if you want to educate yourself.
Because you are the one so sure about why rear end accidents are happening (people on phones). So it seems you would already have the data.
Yet the data I found said that rear end accidents were already the most common accident in 2007, before cell phones, and 87% were already due to distraction, despite no phones.

Here's the thing. You told us that flashing lights are pointless because everyone is looking at their phones. Then when asked to prove it, you said that using a cell phone makes you 7X more likely to rear-end someone. That is not proof all accidents are due to phones, it just means there is some additional risk. Nor is it an indication that 7X more accidents are due to phones. Because that study doesn't tell you the baseline at all. 7X versus WHAT? Versus not having an accident in the next 10 seconds? On average humans drive about 40 million seconds between accidents. So you go from a 1:4M chance in the next 10 seconds to a 1:800K chance?

This is why I asked how the rate of actual rear end accidents, per mile, has increased since the cell phone introduction, to support your statement that all rear end accidents are due to people looking at phones, and thus no indication on the car could help. " just the sad reality of today's drivers," right? Should be easy to prove if true.

I can't find that info anywhere. Yet you seem sure, so I assume you have the info. Nobody disagrees that being distracted is a problem. The question is for some PROOF that the cause of this distraction in 2022 is phones to the point that flashing lights are completely pointless, as the only reason people rear-end is that they aren't looking out the window at all. To which I remind you:

Approximately 40 percent of crash-involved drivers had their gaze directed out the front windshield at the time of lead-vehicle braking onset.

• Disagree
Reactions: heavyD
Upvote 0
Not sure what all the hate is in here, but I would pick up a set of these. Have them installed on my wife's Y and they do what you're requesting, flash 4 times when on the brakes...and as a bonus, they're down low, so it's not too "annoying". Went with the OEM style as the barbed wire style was a little too "tuner" for our taste...but to each their own.

Upvote 0
I had a license plate frame on my old car that had an accelerometer and LED light assembly with a battery that would strobe if you braked hard. I'm fairly convinced it helped prevent someone rear ending me once or twice over the years. When I got my M3 in 2019 I looked high and low for one of those to put on the new car and couldn't find it anywhere. I guess the federal regs killed them off.

Looked into some of the units you splice into the wiring and decided not to monkey with it as well as disliking the fact that it would strobe the brake light every time it engaged which would probably get you shot in stop-and-go traffic like we have in SoCal.
The GOMINIGO flashers that I used had a jumper on the board so that it would not flash again until the brake was not pressed for 20 seconds. That was the default setting. It helped to prevent scenarios such as you described.

Upvote 0
Not sure what all the hate is in here, but I would pick up a set of these. Have them installed on my wife's Y and they do what you're requesting, flash 4 times when on the brakes...and as a bonus, they're down low, so it's not too "annoying". Went with the OEM style as the barbed wire style was a little too "tuner" for our taste...but to each their own.

Interesting. What was the installation like?

Upvote 0
Hi Fam

Tesla update 2022.36.4
"If you are driving over 50 km/h (31 mph) and brake forcefully, the brake lights will now flash quickly to warn other drivers that your car is rapidly slowing down. If your car stops completely, the hazard warning lights will flash until you press the accelerator or manually press the hazard warning lights button to turn them off."

Upvote 0
Tesla update 2022.36.4
"If you are driving over 50 km/h (31 mph) and brake forcefully, the brake lights will now flash quickly to warn other drivers that your car is rapidly slowing down. If your car stops completely, the hazard warning lights will flash until you press the accelerator or manually press the hazard warning lights button to turn them off."
OP is from the USA, and that update doesn't apply to US cars.

Upvote 0
No brake lights can prevent the distracted drives. You can put the flashing, strobing, exploding lights as many as you can, but they will still come for you.
Not the point. By that logic, why wear your seatbelt? It’s not guaranteed to save you in a crash. Why lock the doors? Any car thief can get into a car within 10 seconds.

Safety is a layered process. No one innovation is going to eliminate accidents. But anti-lock brakes, seatbelts, crumple zones, flashing brake lights, etc can all come together to collectively drive down accident rates and help save lives.

Reactions: Radlaw and rpiotro
Upvote 0
Not the point. By that logic, why wear your seatbelt? It’s not guaranteed to save you in a crash. Why lock the doors? Any car thief can get into a car within 10 seconds.

Safety is a layered process. No one innovation is going to eliminate accidents. But anti-lock brakes, seatbelts, crumple zones, flashing brake lights, etc can all come together to collectively drive down accident rates and help save lives.
totally missed my point.
All your combined safety features still will not save you from distracted drivers.

Upvote 0