TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How Can I Limit -- or Select -- the Contacts I Download into My Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by WEG8899, Aug 18, 2013.

1. WEG8899

WEG8899 Member

My Model S stopped downloading all the Contacts from my iPhone at the letter "J". I assume this is a capacity issue, since I have lots of Contacts and phone numbers for each. But my strong preference would be to cherry-pick the individual Contacts I want in the car anyway -- and if possible select which phone numbers show up for each -- and get all this down to a tidy, manageable reference. I wonder, for example, if I could pre-select a number of Groups from my Contacts, or even create a single Tesla Group to transfer.

Does anyone know if this can be done -- and if so, how best to accomplish the task?

Thanks.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I don't know of any way to do this. I have ~1,000 contacts in my phone and haven't experienced what you describe....how many do you have?:eek:

3. mark

mark Member

My contacts stop at P - I have asked service multiple times about it and they blame my phone. Would love to find a solution.

4. WEG8899

WEG8899 Member

I have 1400. The data file must be larger than usual, perhaps because my Notes sections contain lots of, well, notes. I wonder if I can archive a bunch of my Contacts through the Apple program itself.

5. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I think what you need is in the article below:

Managing Bluetooth Contact Sync | iLounge Tips

6. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

I sync'd 2,821 contacts from my iPhone without problems.

7. WEG8899

WEG8899 Member

Many thanks to DaveVa. I followed the iLounge tip, created a new Tesla Group in my Mac's Contacts, filled it with the Cards I wanted, checked only the Tesla Group in iPhone's Settings>Bluetooth>Tesla S device to sync, ran out to the car, connected>disconnected>connected, and the logjam went away and everything I wanted appeared. Very nice now.

Maybe future Tesla software will warn us if our Contacts upload is near overload -- and point us to smartphone solutions -- but the editing was a good exercise for me. Happy to have another neat feature of the car performing as-advertised.

8. CraigHughes

CraigHughes Member

I read on the Tesla forums that contacts with more than 5 phone numbers will cause the transfer to stop. Pretty lame bug; my guess, given their rate of fixing lame bugs like this, is that some solution should likely roll out sometime in 2017.

9. lloyds

lloyds Member

Out of curiosity, what phone do you have? I'm having the same problems

10. WEG8899

WEG8899 Member

#10 WEG8899, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I have an iPhone 4S, running iOS 6.1.3.

I've seen the thread about a five-phone-number limit, and a cursory look at my current Tesla Sync list hasn't yet shown a card that exceeds five numbers. But what I liked about reducing my 1400+ cards to a 380-card Tesla Sync group is how my Contacts in the car are exclusively phone numbers I might call and addresses I might actually want to get to. No more sifting past obsolete, but keepable, cards with my kids' schoolmates, restaurants I'll never eat in again, doctors I stopped seeing, and electronics stores that went out of business to get where I want.

The process of populating a new Group took a lot less time than I thought it would; and checking only the Tesla Sync group on my iPhone's Bluetooth and then delinking and relinking the connections in the car was both easy and quick.

I'm quite pleased to have spent some time (that I wouldn't had it not been imposed) and ending up with a really tight Contact list in my Tesla.

Vrooom.