Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I lock the steering wheel before I get out of the driver's seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
I'm a wheelchair guy and I need to brace against the steering wheel while I get out of the driver's seat and into my wheelchair, but it's hard to do when the wheel turns free. It locks itself after enough time has passed, but there's nowhere to click the touchscreen to "Shut Off" the car that I'm smart enough to find. A way to make the door stop closing itself and stay open during that time would make life easier too...

Any suggestions? What am I missing?

This isn't really what you want though. This completely powers down the car, making it unresponsive to the app, etc.

...there's nowhere to click the touchscreen to "Shut Off" the car...

As cited by @CyberGus, I've done "Controls > Safety & Security > Power off." many times since 2012 Model S, 2017 Model X and now 2018 Model 3 and I've never had any problems with it.

The screen would go dark, the steering would stiffen up and the app has constant control of those cars at any time. Touching the screen would revive the screen for accessories like music, HVAC... but not the propulsion and not the steering.

Another tip is to update the Easy Entry driver profile to save a seat position that makes it easier for you (raise seat, move forward, tilt seat back forward, etc.). If you don't want to use Easy Entry because it activates quickly when you press Park, you can create a new driver profile ("Exit") to select whenever you want. You can also set air suspension (if you have it) at extra-high for your home location, so it's easier to get out of the car.

Reactions: UncaNed