Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I open doors of Model S from outside with no power (and presumed 12v unavailable)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Other than breaking the driver's window, reaching in, and pulling the door handle, is there a way to open my 2020 Tesla Model S driver-side door(s) if you assume there is absolutely no power? (I.e., I suspect the 12 V battery is disconnected).

Background: a Honda t-boned into my passenger size, middle of my car; both right-side doors are impossible to open due to damage.
The "where am I" reporting ceased about 2 miles from the tow-yard, leading to conjecture the 12-volt battery is disconnected / damaged.

We'd like to recover our belongings :)

I see that for the trunk, I'll have to get into the car first, pull forward a rear seat back, crawl in, and pull the little lever.
...and from the manual, it isn't clear if one can access the trunk from the rear seat :(

Sheesh.

thanks!
Stan in Cupertino

You can manually open the Frunk to jump/replace the 12 volt battery.

The first link is how to get to the battery if it is dead and you cannot get into the car. It involves prying the right, and then the left front inner wheel well to expose the emergency frunk cable releases (two steps). Once you get the frunk open you can follow the videos in step two to jump the battery and unlock the car. This link is how to Jump Start the battery, and lists the tools needed.
The other thing is to call Tesla and have the car flat bedded to the dealer to fix it. Since you can't raise it up, put it in neutral, or put it in tow mode, your tow person probably will need wheel dollies to move the car onto the flat bed. Be careful.

1)

2) How to Jumpstart a 2012-2019 Tesla S 2017 Tesla S 90D Electric

• Informative
Reactions: sieler and CyberGus
You can access the trunk from the rear seat in the Model S prior to 2021 LR/Plaid. Just pull on the release on either side of the rear seat. The best way to gain access is to provide 12v power as DebyDave explains, and then use your FOB to unlock and release a door or trunk.

On the Y and new Model S 2021+ LR/Plaid, the rear seats are now power locked as a theft preventive measure. Power is needed to pull down the seats.

Reactions: sieler