Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Can I Politely Decline Speaking To Strangers About My Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?

Just tell the truth. And move on from the situation.

Reactions: MrABRanch
Print out a stack of "Tesla's General Questions and Answers" and put it inside your car like a flyer, so when people have questions give one to them and politely ask them to take a look.

Probably something to start with by cut and paste some info from this page:
New Owner Frequently Asked Questions

Most importantly, be sure to include your referral code on the bottom because u never know they might buy the car the next day. Win-Win.

Probably can say something like this:

Thanks for your interest with the car, yea I agree this car is pretty advanced and it does overwhelms me too as a new owner, there is a lot with this car and i'm still try to get used to this car. Hey how about this i got a printout here, perhaps you can check this out, hope it can answers your questions. Here is Tesla's web address, the nearest showroom location and hope Q & A helps you out. By the way my referral code is below and if you happens to buy a Tesla feel free to use this code so you can get free supercharge miles. Have a nice day!

Reactions: ChunkAhoy
Lot's of helpful tips here (and others not so much).

If it's while walking to your car, you can say: "Sorry, but I've got to go!". You don't owe anyone anything if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

If you're already in your car, you really don't have to do anything other than roll the window up. Your choice whether you acknowledge them with eye contact or a smile.

I have the same "trouble" as others - I live in SoCal and there's plenty around, so I rarely get stopped. My car stands out from others (some mods), so I might be asked some questions about it. Some times I feel like talking, and some times I don't. When I don't, I usually say, "I've got to go do [insert excuse (fake or real) here]", smile and carry on with my day.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

I don't mind it and carry on the conversation. It's a good way to get a referral. I tend to get more Tesla owners coming to speak to me than non-Tesla owners due to the mods I've done.

Sorry, no speak the english and calmly walk away

If only this would work in my hometown but even non-Spanish natives speak Spanish and many also speak Russian, French, Creole, Italian. I tried this once and they asked what language, I said "French" (I don't speak French) and they started talking to me in French. I just said "Yes" and walked away. :oops:

I live in SoCal and there's plenty around, so I rarely get stopped.
Oh, you reminded me of something. Whenever I travel to my hometown in Tennessee (a small town, not so rich), they have no earthly idea what is a Tesla.

Opposite of SoCal, my car is the only one in town. I often hear something like "Wow, how did you get that fancy Tennessee Titans logo on your car?" :rolleyes: Frankly, it is a much quicker question to answer. I just say I bought the "Titan T" on the internet and glued it on my Toyota :D Hey, it almost looks the same, but the Titan logo looks more cool. I guess we need flames on the Tesla. Sorry I got off topic. Just couldn't resist.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 47
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 32
Wow people have a lot of opinions about this one...

OP, I understand your concern. My wife hates taking the car because strangers approaching her like this makes her really uncomfortable.

I'd suggest going the dumb "oh it's my boyfriend's/husband's car", at least that stops it going further. But unfortunately, I think it's a side effect of this car for the next few years :( that combined with people who don't understand personal space.

A Lotus owner back in the day put massive “f*ck off” decals on his car to keep people from asking him about it. I thought it a bit extreme (and tacky). You could move, I used to get stopped in my Lotus all the time. Then I moved. People here look but don’t talk to you...my jeep is another story. They love to talk about jeeps here.

You could debadge the car, that would probably confuse many into not knowing what they were looking at. Or go a step further and install Toyota or Honda badges on it (I know it’s been done).

I like the small business card idea. I love talking to people about cars, so it’s never been annoying or scary to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.