Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I replace park brake shoes/pad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S 60 2016 park brake pad is low.
Front and rear brake pads are easy to purchase and replace.

Any tips on where to buy and how to replace the park brake pads please?
I found this:
1003460-00-D Parking brake lining kit-services two calipers.
1013298-00-A Parking brake caliper spring & pin kit service kit 1 kit services 1 caliper.

Park Brake Calipers and Pads
Park Brake Pads Fit For Tesla S X Oe 1003460-00-d Oe 1003460-00-b - Buy Brake Pads Park Brake Lining Kit Tms Tmx Fit For Tesla Model S X 2012 2016 Dual Motor Single Motor Pre-facelift,Park Brake Pads Electric Vehicle Ev Facelift Model 60 Model 70 Model 75 Model 75d Model 85 Model 85d Facelift,Auto Spare Parts For Tesla Model P85d Model P85 + Model P85 Plus Model 90 Model 90d Model P90d Model 100d Model P100d Product on Alibaba.com

How can that be? Was the car dragged/towed without Tow Mode activated? Otherwise how would the parking brake pads ever wear out? I’m assuming you’re talking older Model S with the separate parking brake sitting on top of each rear rotor right? Seized parking brakes could happen, but worn pads I don’t see how since they are activated when the car is… parked.
Sorry I’m of no actual help for your request. Just trying to understand.

Reactions: eiger3970
Maybe 500,000 kilometres of city driving?
That doesn't matter how many miles are on the car its a parking/emergency brake so it should only be engaged while the car is parked ( thus not causing wear) or in emergency situations which would cause wear.

As for buying the pads just go to your local tesla service center and buy the pads. there are aftermarket ones but i cant vouch for that since i still have my original factory ones on my car.

Anyway below is the link to the service manual, you will have to have the car raised and the parking brake released meaning the car has to be in neutral so if you put the car in tow mode that is pretty much the only way to accomplish this in the driveway. Make sure you are safe and properly chalk the front tires so it doesn't try to roll away while you work on it.

I checked and the brake pad wear may be from the Hold feature. As I drive a lot, I also use Hold a lot.

Tesla only sell expensive park brake kits.
3rd party online retailers sell a pair for $10, but in lots of 100.
Haven’t found a shop retailer with the smaller sized park brake pads, just the regular front and rear brake pads.
Will search a bit more.

Hold, again, does nothing to wear out the pads. You’re standing still so is just a parking brake as stated. Enough here, though, doesn’t matter at this point.
So you’ve physically inspected/measured the parking brake pads and they are low/down to the last few millimeters?
How much is Tesla charging for replacement pads? What do you mean by them wanting to sell you an entire “kit”?

Edit: how much searching did you do? Rock Auto shows readily avail options??

Yes, park brake pads are so low there's some metal scraping, so might need to replace the rotors.

Tesla only sells a "kit" for $390. A kit includes a whole new park brake fit, not just the pads.
I searched in many places. Thanks for your awesome link. That should do the trick.

Sounds like your parking brake is dragging if you are wearing out the pads like that. I'd wager your efficiency is also pretty terrible if that's the case. Replacing the pad and rotor will address the symptom but maybe not the root cause of why the parking brake was stuck. It's possible that corrosion formed and seized the pad in place, so a good cleaning and lubrication will solve the issue.

Reactions: eiger3970
My park brake electronic plug has a different connection...any suggestions how to take it off please?

Attachments

• RearLeft1.jpg
    RearLeft1.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 316
  • RearLeft2.jpg
    RearLeft2.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 161
  • RearLeft3.jpg
    RearLeft3.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 167
  • RearLeft4.jpg
    RearLeft4.jpg