Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I tell if I got Ultra High Fidelity Sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1
I just took delivery of a model S this week that has the premium sound
I toggled surround on/off and felt off was much cleaner
My son came over and I had him listen to a blind a/b test
He too liked the surround off
I hear literally no difference between on and off. This continues to be consistent with me having a problem.

Today I'll load my USB stick with music. It will probably turn into an operation that I fall asleep to, so tomorrow I will test. Maybe then I can hear a difference. Of course, today, it's a difference between a tin can and a tin can, so I'm not sure how much difference there can be; if the FLAC files really are an improvement over FM radio, then I will be supremely surprised. I've never heard FM sound this bad on anything but a $2 ghetto pocket radio from the 1980s.

Why turn off HD radio? It has superior sound quality over regular FM.
Yes and no. If you're close to the transmitter for a well engineered station regular FM is better. If you're closer to the fringes or the engineering at the station is not as careful HD can be competitive. However it will always have the digital compression artifacts. Once you spot them, you can never ignore them. It just uses too few bits and too simple of compression to sound really great.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Yes and no. If you're close to the transmitter for a well engineered station regular FM is better. If you're closer to the fringes or the engineering at the station is not as careful HD can be competitive. However it will always have the digital compression artifacts. Once you spot them, you can never ignore them. It just uses too few bits and too simple of compression to sound really great.

I see, when I first listened to HD radio in 2006 it was not compressed. I haven't had an HD radio since 2008 so perhaps things have changed. Thanks for the info.

HD radio is always compressed. It's written in to the spec. The stations get to pick the compression level but there isn't a ton of bandwidth. It's still quite good sounding when it's using the full bandwidth, but when there are extra subchannels it can be rather low bandwidth.

Yes, that's what I assumed, @DarkMatter ; there wasn't the bandwidth available for anything else.

So, back to diagnosing my Ultra High Fidelity Sound not sounding high fidelity:

I decided to put FLAC on USB. I read somewhere that ext4 works great in Tesla USB, so I started first with that. I loaded all my music and podcasts onto the stick that I got from recommendation of another thread about which USB drives work well in Teslas. Today when I had a chance, I hit USB in the Music app, and all my folders came up off the ext4 partition of the stick, with the music, pretty nicely organized, with an A-Z# index on the right side for long directory lists. I haven't really tried to figure out the fringes of the interface, but it seemed a lot better than the recent temporary setback they had. I was very satisfied, knowing how bad it could have been.

When I got to a musical piece, I hit play, and it said file load error. Later, I surmised I had the wrong file type, and looked: I had Apple's ALAC (via iTunes, a setting you have to set specifically to get lossless when pulling in, for instance, CD material). They show up as "m4a" files, which is a common file suffix for lossy compression, too, but a little analysis on the contents shows it's ALAC. Anyway, long story short, I didn't completely convert everything well, but I did run through a bunch of it with a simple "ffmpeg -i oldfile.m4a newfile.flac", and put them back on the stick and tried that.

Here's what I found:

First, the files are read and play. Score 1 for the recommended USB stick, score 2 for ext4, score 3 for FLAC, and score 4 for Tesla fixing the interface.

Indeed, files in FLAC format are better input material into the Ultra High Fidelity Sound system, and you can hear the difference: less various items of garbage. When comparing to my FM stations, it's less FM garbage like its rolled out waveforms and truncated frequencies. Still, FM is analog, so it maintains that analog superiority. Going to FLAC, I skip all that FM mishmash and get straight digital, and if the digital is done half ok, then it ought to sound good.

Indeed, I've played those very files via my iPhone's AUX out jack (so, "lossless" (uncompressed) low sampling rate digital audio straight up converted to analog by my phone) in many car stereo systems, and they sound anywhere from ok to great, depending on the recording material and the car I'm in.

The same things in my Tesla with Ultra High Fidelity Sound do not sound good, however. They are unlistenable. Not only is it tinny and harsh, and clipping, and sounds like it's coming out of 2 small speakers into the dash and nowhere else except two tweeters by the back seats (as if the forward speakers weren't small enough), but it's also just blatantly nothing like any kind of sound system you'd want to listen to, if you want a full experience as I do. I really don't think sound engineers are that deaf, so I think the only explanation is that I have something wrong with my car.

Ok, you're going to say, what does a car wash and a drive through Central Valley at 32ºF outside and loud ICE engines have to do with this? I reported water from copious rain on the roads coming into the footwell of the driver. Later, same thing happened in a touchless car wash. When driving tonight, the heater couldn't keep up with the cold: I had it set to 81ºF, but it felt like it preferred to spew out 65ºF air instead (which I personally find way too cold). Worst area? Footwell by the feet, as if a draft was coming in there. Also, ICE engines passing by sound loud to me.

What if someone forgot to put ten cents worth of sealant between two panels up there that caused literally all of these problems? Part of the UHFS equipment is up there; what if it got water damaged? It's too simple an explanation to be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of my problems are that simple. It's probably not that easy, but I can hope. In that case, plug the leak, repair (replace) affected equipment, and good to go. I find a heater that can't keep up with one little crack suspect, though, and the fact that it thinks it ought to cool me off at 81ºF setting but cook me to death at "HI" setting suggests there's more problems than a little crack.

• Informative
Reactions: houstonian
I ordered Ultra High Fidelity Sound, but I only hear 4 low quality speakers, and that is even more evident panning around to them. The sound says 12 speakers. Where are they? When do they come on? How can I confirm that I have them? How can I activate the Ultra High Fidelity Sound in my car?

I am very baffled. I've never heard my classical music sound this bad in any non-cheap car. It's as if they didn't even install the Ultra High Fidelity Sound option, even though it's listed in my delivery papers.
Check out:
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

So have you had a chance yet to take it to the Service Center? It sounds broken. They should be able to remedy it.
I will go on a hunt for Service Centers with free time Thursday after work. I'm thinking of driving around Silicon Valley until I find one.

One thing I want to do to diagnose this is sit in an older car with Ultra High Fidelity Sound (perhaps with my own music source) and compare the output with my car. I also want to hunt for all the speakers in any such car that sounds like the UHFS is working, if that's what I find. That will give me a huge amount of information; I might be able to do that even at stores without service centers, or stores with service centers that are too busy but the stores aren't too busy.

I failed to map out all the speakers yet. I used all my warm day dry garage time on some important chores, and here in California there's only been a few days like that since my delivery December 15, 2016. We need the rain, so that's great. Anyway, it's in for service, so hopefully they find the problem(s) and fix it (them).

But one thing I wanted to remark is that the loaner I got seems to only have standard audio, yet that standard audio sounds better than my Ultra High Fidelity Sound. The standard audio sounds like a basic not so good audio system in a car, which is far better than the current crappy one my car has. This has me very hopeful that what I bought is actually far better than what they delivered to me, so that they can and will be able to fix it.