Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I tell if I have issue with my eMMc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to understand whether I'm entitled to service...

My 2016 Model X has issue with things that weren't problems before... It doesn't pull software release notes anymore, just an empty page. Web browser also does not work, it freezes during opening of sites that has worked before...

These things sound "normal" to me. v9+ is just a bit much for MCU1. Some people have reported luck with getting better performance by removing historical nav destinations and/or resetting long-running trip counters. That may or may not help, because both issue could also be signal related.

Those things are normal. I mean, not OK, but I just had my eMMc chip replaced and have the same problem. The web browser is not supported any more on the old car. And yes there are no release notes for the old cars. I think 8 out of the last 10 software "updates" had blank release notes for my 2014 Model S. Tesla doesn't support these old cars any more, they just cripple them down. Slower supercharging, limit range and so on.

Same here. I couldn't keep our X connected to WiFi long enough for it to download an update but Tesla pushed it for me. Release notes showed after the update. They suggested clearing the Nav history (which they did for me remotely) and the trip counter (which I left alone for now). All because connectivity and media hang and it took three tries for the MCU to finally reboot. Definitely seeing more little issues with the MCU and taking more reboots.

It does seem better (for now) after the clearing of the Nav but it hasn't been long enough to really know.

"It doesn't pull software release notes anymore, just an empty page. Web browser also does not work, it freezes during opening of sites that has worked before..."

Unfortunately, that is "normal" since v9 of the firmware. The old MCU cannot handle the load. The browser has been broken, and will remain broken until the end of times. Not what you want to hear but it's the ugly truth.
I suggest that Tesla removes the browser entirely as it is dead as a dodo and only creates false hope...

If your eMMC Flashdrive really is toast, the MCU will start normally after a reboot and within minutes or hours (depending on the degree of flash-cell degradation) the MCU will hang/freeze again (mostly partially like the music player and navigation will stop working, cannot stream music (constant loading errors, not just occasionally which can always happen and is NOT a sign of eMMC issues).
You then reboot and the cylcle starts again.
The more problems the MCU has with writing to disk, the quicker the MCU will (partially) freeze/hang. The disk can be read from, just not written to.

Can we organize a MCU1 owners complaint to Tesla SC about non-functional browser?

Why? The browser on MCU0 and MCU1 cars has been absolutely miserable and unusable from day 1 (mid 2014 in my case). So when it broke even more with firmware v8 and completely with v9, I went "so what, it never worked anyway".
The hardware of MC0 and MCU1 is too slow. Period.
My opinion: Tesla should never offered a browser pre-MCU2 in the first place. It only created false hope.

What do you think you will gain? That it starts working all of a sudden after a "post won lawsuit firmware release"?
Not gonna happen so spare your self the time, energy, money and aggravation of dragging Tesla to court. You'll only feed the greed of slime-ball lawyers...

Last edited:
Reactions: KerryOH
Interesting thread. Running a Model X from 2017. Chip in on my observations.
I've had a TON of issues with my car, especially centered around the MCU. First of it was like "Clear nav history, clear trip counter type of fixes, which eventually ended up not being a permanent fix obviously.
I then had the MCU replaced, which was promising for a few months, but eventually ending up with the same symptoms, just less frequent. I am now back to square one and still with these symptoms...

Just delivered my car again, today. They now have all the days they need to try and come with a permanent fix of explanation or it because a question of wether or not they have fullfilled their part of the agreement with this car. Luckily I got an MCU replacement, which indicates there is an issue and not just me being pedantic.

Some personal observations are, which are relayed to Tesla Service.
1: I have a tendency to have more issues during winter. (Cold and wet here in Denmark). Statistically my car spend more time at Tesla Service during winter months than summer.
2: I have a tendency to have more issues during wet weather driving. When its raining, my car will go bananas. Periodically, anywhere, randomly in the interface (1-6 seconds). (Laggy music, laggy navigation, laggy main menu, laggy volume adjustment, laggy temperatur controls and so on.)

The older Tesla versions were not assembled with much focus on water tight/moist resistance. So I am guessing, it might be moist/water issue causing some sensors/cabling etc to do some sort of signal flooding/log flooding. Which eventually saturates the overall system, causing random lag and thereby loss of service. This is a speculation, but at this time I would believe if someone said it was a family of gnomes having a cable party every second full moon, explicitly in my car....

Oh yeah, they have all the time claimed that it is only for my car and not a general issue. (Which is good in terms of warranty)

FYI on this thread: they have made some change in the last few software revs to how the release notes show. They look different, and now they are consistently showing up on my car. If you're still having issues on current software there may be some other MCU problem. Speaking of MCU1 problems, it's started taking up to ten minutes for the radio to start working on mine. I'm expecting a more serious failure soon.