TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How can I tell if I have the P+ suspension on my P85D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by gpetti, Jan 23, 2017.

1. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

I'm almost positive that the answer to this question is already posted on here somewhere but several searches have not quite revealed the answer. My car was delivered in late February, VIN 69359, and has staggered 21" wheels which I think suggests that I have the P+ suspension but I'm not 100% sure. Are there any other clues?

2. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

I believe the builds starting from April onwards did not have the P+ suspension. Your VIN build should have the + suspension.

3. commasign

commasign Active Member

Look on your build sheet or Monroney sticker. It will say Performance Plus if it has the Plus Suspension.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I've been doing research on this very issue yesterday.

I just checked my database of sold cars, and the range of VINs of P85Ds with the + suspension runs from P62496 to P68980, with three additional outliers:

P77543 US
    P77977 UK
    P79074 Uk

So your VIN 69359 falls slightly outside that range, but the date seems to be valid.

Below is a list of upgraded components and how they help to create the Model S Performance Plus:

Stabilizer Bars – In a typical “performance car”, large stabilizer bars can corrupt the steering and degrade the ride; but not in Model S Performance Plus. Thanks to our low center of gravity, we have increased the stabilizer bar size front and rear without the negative side effects, allowing greater body control and more predictable handling.

Damping – Tesla’s philosophy on damping is to maintain good handling behavior with good control, while also adhering to a supple ride. The damping characteristics available on the Performance Plus help to bring feedback from the road to the driver to enhance your driving experience, but still manages to encompass road undulations with ease.

Bushings – Tesla focused their attention on increasing lateral stiffness at the rear suspension to improve steering and overall vehicle response. This has been achieved by new and improved compliance characteristics throughout the suspension, thus allowing the springs and dampers to work more efficiently.

This article goes into more detail: Tesla Model S Peformance Plus Option Now Available for $6,500; Retrofits Offered Too - Inside EVs

I don't think that's true for P85Ds, only P85+. If you have access to the list of option codes for the car (like the color code, type of seats, etc), the option code for the + suspension is: PX01 -- if you have that, you have the + suspension.

5. commasign

commasign Active Member

It's listed on my build sheet and Monroney, and mine is a Dec 2014 build. Maybe it's true that some cars without Performance Plus listed on the build sheet or Monroney actually have Performance Plus suspension, but I don't think the reverse scenario could be true. If it is, then the current owner should be able to take the car back to Tesla and insist that the Performance Plus suspension be added.

• Like x 1
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I've definitely seen build sheets for P85Ds that don't list it, but the car has it.

7. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

Thanks! this is helpful. I'm pretty sure there was nothing on the monroney about it but I'll check later. Presumably the staggered wheels is an indicator but not a guarantee? I had a feeling that in one discussion on here, there was mention of a part number that might be visible without any disassembly but I could not find that either.

8. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

BTW, I'm pretty sure I'm in your DB of sold cars but I didn't know whether I had the + or not - presumably others wouldn't have known either.

9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I just looked, it's not in there!

10. commasign

commasign Active Member

Mine came with 19" Cyclones. Post-April 2015 P85D cars also came with staggered (or square) wheel setups but do NOT have the Performance Plus suspension.

11. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

I guess I must be thinking of a different spread sheet. I was definitely in one of the P85D spreadsheets, though originally my car was ordered in October and I cancelled and re-ordered.

12. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

The one I was thinking of is this one: Tracking P85D delivery thread
    Tesla 85D tracking

Doesn't have anything about the plus suspension as I dont think we were aware of the difference when this started.
    Sorry I missed yours.
    (though I am a persistent contributor to the firmware upgrade tracker)

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

14. cab

cab Member

That early generation of P85D defintely rides firm. Firmer than my P85+ for sure based on the December 2014 build P85D loaner I had. I can see where some might not like it while,others might prefer it. The quality of roads you drive on often influences that preference too.

15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Cool, glad to hear that, since I just bought Dec/2015 P85D to replace my P85+ which replaced my BMW E39 M5.

;)

16. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

On looking at my ordering information, my car actually started building January 10th.

17. gpetti

gpetti Supporting Member

Hi,
    Thanks for all the pointers, I've since found threads which indicate a part number on the front dampers that should provide an indication. The part number I see is: 1030608-01-A which I believe indicates the performance plus suspension. I also believe that -C indicates the softer suspension. There was one thread that said the opposite of this but I'm comfortable from other threads that collectively suggest that -A is the performance plus suspension. Given that my car was build mid-January, I think that makes sense.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing