Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I tell if my PW2 is on WiFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost connection to my PW2 last week and Tesla was able to remotely restart the internet connection. So I am now connected again but when I tried to look for the PW2's IP address on my router, I cannot find it anymore. Does it mean that the PW2 is no longer on Wifi and is only on cellular? Any way I can fix it?

The gateway should be offering a TEG-XXX wifi network. You can connect to that and then look at the web page for the gateway to see what the network settings are. Just use the .1 address for the network you connect to connect (I believe it should be 192.168.91.1).

If you can't get to the web page there, you could try rebooting the gateway (using the reset button).

If you can't get to the web page there, you could try rebooting the gateway (using the reset button).
Can you show me where the reset button is located? The Gateway web server was hung several times in the past month and I had to power down everything to reset it, meaning my home had to lose power in order to reset it. What a PITA.

I am on 1.25.0 and the hang still happens.

Mine is prominently labeled when I open the door to the Gateway panel (edit: I understand some versions of the Gateway don't have the reset button):

kUhR8PEGvCC1AIiGxg0QpOx3sle7RGiCJAyN9QGrQgU1Y1Aku8V4HoaI1Ccmi5uJP_67joylPUj8gbSZokF5sbzr8N3VS9uXDrhYRFYkgYXfTx3KitDsv95_9_Pewe32hS7GJ4CiUgruoM5ALDmVXg92vov_g3J5BIFnW21pUiOtXKj09FpYzu71socZUtRtULlidWsCfiL-KikAMEdt5lXN2-mvZpPPCleQuoJUUCvBwzgh3DX-Cv9ON0TpFveV_lwc4B1k1LDsdaPeKhfeH5JAwJJrqo108ZKp-dyIaUE7PfEDc6ysjMK5qt9Verz-t0aZrjiQ6ko0Qmc-vxiTWmFuV_5ES_Vdfc5x9Pzl0QRDW1Yo2p_vNyVriuVEivJfzVpTYG6ouxBPzhYiqI9r1Mky5qtghB_RcsDJIlwZKwGkPpaJTy4XZEJeT0OaVXLS4OQTNpwLffXeQmZ2RUsTw-momYIu8A8hdVbxqFYqHJ6u4WKw0tyvisCZWLXvgzRNGYn1B8jpQHmVF4zYB8Hn-jEF9TlXqBYnDTGfkT3Kp0-s2xKt0EJrLktlSGufrcwada23EwAWWLGrDxRXJOCinfgUDSfLgBNHg9snYAR42ihPygdUeKu9iNqZT4ACR8lY=w733-h976-no

On mine, there is a bug reset label with a hole on the panel but there is not a switch in the hole. I shined the flashlight inside and looks like there is nothing there.

It's a 'push to reset' button. Use a Philips screwdriver to push into the hole and hold for a few seconds. You will note a bit of resistance and then a give of about a millimeter when you reach and have pushed in the button. Once released, the unit will reset - you can track this as the TEG network will disappear and reappear about 30 seconds later.

Can you show me where the reset button is located? The Gateway web server was hung several times in the past month and I had to power down everything to reset it, meaning my home had to lose power in order to reset it. What a PITA.

I am on 1.25.0 and the hang still happens.

The reset button is inside the Gateway. Simply open the door and you should see a plate with a hole in it. Push into that hole with a round dowel of some sort (I use a Philips screwdriver) and you will feel resistance. Push into the resistance about a millimeter to reset the unit - hold the press for about 2-3 seconds to assure a hard-reset. Within about 15 seconds you should see the TEG network disappear from the list of WiFi sources and about 30 seconds later it should re-appear.

I lost connection to my PW2 last week and Tesla was able to remotely restart the internet connection. So I am now connected again but when I tried to look for the PW2's IP address on my router, I cannot find it anymore. Does it mean that the PW2 is no longer on Wifi and is only on cellular? Any way I can fix it?

The MAC address for the PW2 Gateway should be 88: DA: 1A: XX:XX:XX - the 88: DA: 1A is associated with Redpine Signals, Inc. that makes ultra low power wifi modules that are in the PW2 (at least my PW2). The last three bytes are the serial number for the device in question.

Simply look up your attached devices on your router. If the WiFi is connected, you should find an IP address associated with the MAC address starting with 88: DA: 1A - as long as your PW2 is using that Redpine WiFi product. You can even go further once you find the IP address associated with it and go into your LAN controls and make that current IP address static for that MAC address.

That way, you can create a bookmark on your Internet Explorer or Chrome app that calls up that IP address and you can see the Powerwall UI which associates to the Power Flow visual you see on your iOS or Android app. If your router resets or the PW2 resets, it should then still go to that same IP address consistently, meaning your bookmark is all you need...

Of course, you first need to go into the TEG network and set up your WiFi choice along with password, but after that is done, the above should apply.

Bingo. Couldn't find 192.168.91.1 on my LAN after connecting the gateway to my Wi-Fi network, which makes sense if the router assigns the device an IP, and it's on a different subnet anyway.

Connected to my router (Unifi) -> Clients -> sort by uptime -> quickly found one that says Vendor: RedpineS.

Voila, connected to the respective IP address like a charm.

I really wish Monitoring from Home | Tesla was clearer about this.

upload_2019-5-1_10-20-52.png