Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can it be so hard to allow the owner to set when she/he wants the car fully charg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for Tesla engineers: How can it be so hard to allow the owner to set when she/he wants the car fully charge?

even Porsche allows the owner to set this up.

Easy:

Owner wants car ready to go at 7am with a FULL 90% charge

Owner therefore selects in the same screen where the option for the start charging time is located, a time she/he would like to have the car ready to go.

Tesla charges normally, might be done by 3am and self monitors, gives a boost to have the car ready at the desired 90% charge by 7am...."SIMPLE"

Parasitic losses makes the car loss 7'or more miles if the car is not driven for a day, precious miles particularly in the winter.

This subject has been touched in the past to no avail, what's wrong with Tesla? Hello, anybody home? Sims like an easy project for one of the "interns" currently rotating through the company to solve in one afternoon.

By the away, I believe the model S to be the best 4 door sedan available, no contest. Keep the good work, listen to you customers.

+1 The current setup is not very good for those with TOU rates or those that want their battery charged right before they leave so it's warmed up.

I could care or less about setting the charge start time. I want to set the charge end time.

Even better, I'd like to enter my entire TOU schedule and let Tesla decide intelligently when to charge.

I've submitted both as feature requests more than once.

I agree it would be a nice feature, one that no doubt will eventually be enabled. In the mean time it takes about 15 seconds of mental effort to do this on your own. I know my L2 charger puts on about 15% per hr. The math isn't hard to set the start time.

I actually built the capability to charge to an end time myself with some basic shell scripts that run on my home router. I can set a weekday and weekend schedule individually, and it calculates the start time based on my TOU rates. It also checks the charging cable every night and alerts me when it's unplugged. I'd commercialize it if i thought there was actually a business doing this, but figure Tesla will eventually get around to putting me out of business. ;-)

Question for Tesla engineers: How can it be so hard to allow the owner to set when she/he wants the car fully charge?

even Porsche allows the owner to set this up.

The reason is because Tesla's software team's priorities are all screwed up. They are focused on things like Autopilot, summoning, and whatever else will grab a media headline, but have absolutely zero interest in adding (or even finishing) features that are useful, that exist in other vehicles, but that don't write headlines. Tesla is banking on customers either assuming those features exist, then giving Tesla a pass once they have the car, or not even caring. The software team's mandates come from higher up the executive chain, it's not too difficult to connect the dots to know who is setting those priorities. It's time for us to push back because Tesla is completely ignoring the basics.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon was asked about this at an event one time, his answer was that he agreed completely that this is exactly how it should work.
Given that I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't appeared yet.

Elon's priority is to go to Mars, Tesla has become a distraction for him.

I agree it would be a nice feature, one that no doubt will eventually be enabled. In the mean time it takes about 15 seconds of mental effort to do this on your own. I know my L2 charger puts on about 15% per hr. The math isn't hard to set the start time.

I do the math and I'm usually pretty close but my wife simply is not capable of it.

But even when I do the math, it means I have to change the start charge time just about every single time I pull into the garage.

I have to say, I spend an disappointing amount of time calculating when and at what rate I should charge to make sure I'm full by the time I want to drive it next. It's worse when I'm going to 100% and want to account for top-balancing. I really should be able to specify a charge level, and the time I want it complete, and have the car figure out the rest. If I have TOU meters, it should take that into account as well. Based on comments made when I purchased, I had no idea it'd be two and a half years later and the car would still lack this feature.

I do think a lot of resources that are assigned to headline-grabbing features of largely minimal value to owners would be better put towards fixing the car's current deficiencies. For example, I suspect this feature plus things like the lacking media subsystem get far more owner use than summon. They're so far down the backlog, though, it's unlikely we'll see any movement on them.

Honestly, the focus on grabbing headlines over all else concerns me greatly. Are they doing that because they're in serious financial trouble, or see trouble looming? If it's considered advertising, why is advertising coming at the expense of other features owners want more?

Are you sure?

I run VT, and I've never seen anything other than start-time capability.

I'm running the 50.mumble.08 version of VT I believe...

Well, it won't do the charge time calculation for you, but you can set different scheduled charge times with much finer granularity than what Tesla provides.

Can probably implement the current SoC to calculate start of charge time in an afternoon of work. Not rocket surgery.

As a ToU user, I would love this feature. Get the battery as warm as possible before my rates go up. I'm just glad Tesla has at least made some improvements. Those old enough to remember pre-4.5 versions? You plugged the car in and it started charging. No scheduling features at all! Many people wired timers into their 14-50 outlet to get it to start at certain times. Thankfully I wasn't using a ToU rate plan back then. You also could only pick between 90% or 100% charge.

Also, not given Tesla enough credit on is the location awareness for the scheduler. Not something you think about until you use another car without it. Whenever I use a public charger in my Fiat 500e, I have to remember to go into it's settings and disable the schedule before plugging in. And if I forget and close the door, the option goes away and you have to restart the car to get to the option again.

Well, it won't do the charge time calculation for you, but you can set different scheduled charge times with much finer granularity than what Tesla provides.

So for clarification, VT does NOT do what the OP is referring to.

Can probably implement the current SoC to calculate start of charge time in an afternoon of work. Not rocket surgery.

AWDtsla said:
"VisibleTesla will also do this for you, should you not be programmatically inclined.

Are you inferring there's a way to do this without programming then?

There is no need for advanced mental math to be applied, and I appreciate the advice of our friend the good ophthalmologist.

The car achieves its full charge as always, then starts to slowly loose charge, if the software is made aware of time the car will hit the road, then restarts charging perhaps an hour earlier or 30 min earlier depending on the level of charge and brings it back to the desired full state.

I actually built the capability to charge to an end time myself with some basic shell scripts that run on my home router. I can set a weekday and weekend schedule individually, and it calculates the start time based on my TOU rates. It also checks the charging cable every night and alerts me when it's unplugged. I'd commercialize it if i thought there was actually a business doing this, but figure Tesla will eventually get around to putting me out of business. ;-)

Hah! I have exactly the same setup! It also turns on climate control at the end of the work day for me.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no need for advanced mental math to be applied, and I appreciate the advice of our friend the good ophthalmologist.

The car achieves its full charge as always, then starts to slowly loose charge, if the software is made aware of time the car will hit the road, then restarts charging perhaps an hour earlier or 30 min earlier depending on the level of charge and brings it back to the desired full state.

For me I want it to end as close as possible to my departure time so the battery didn't sit at full charge and is already warm when I get in.

My first EV was a Nissan Leaf and it had the ability to choose your charging end time with v1.0 of their software, so DUH TESLA. Until Tesla adds this feature here is the "easy way" with only subtraction needed.

1. Plug in and start charging your car at the amperage you want to use with NO A/C or heat on (will affect time displayed)
2. After you start charging, the car will show you "Hours and Minutes Remaining"
3. Subtract the time remaining from your end time and set your timer to that time.

As an example, I plugged in and it told me 3 hours 30 minutes remaining. I want to leave at 7AM. I set my timer for 3:30AM.

I'm not sure if the above was simply obvious but no one mentioned it so I chimed in.

Does anyone think that maybe it is a patented feature and that is why we don't see it? Probably not since Porsche and Nissan are using it.