Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can it be so hard to allow the owner to set when she/he wants the car fully charg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, let me be clear in my post then. I wouldn't use it. I also think Tesla should not offer it. Why? I do not think Tesla should strive for a complicated, thousands of options, "everything for everybody" interface. I think they have to make choices.
They've already wrecked the interface with v7. one more thing won't matter. (although this is something I use on the Leaf and would use on the Tesla).

OK, let me be clear in my post then. I wouldn't use it. I also think Tesla should not offer it. Why? I do not think Tesla should strive for a complicated, thousands of options, "everything for everybody" interface. I think they have to make choices. I believe that for the vast majority of owners, start time is sufficient. I feel, in a lot of ways, it is better. When software calculates when to start charging based on a departure time, it has to assume a certain rate of charging. Any fluctuations can throw of the departure time. I have departure time on my eGolf - with no ability to set start time. Have seen situations where it is still charging at departure time. I much prefer the Tesla approach.

Well, luckily for those of us that want and need the feature, it would seem you are in the minority.

Below is an image of the most requested features, as voted on by members of TMC, discussed in the article linked to in this post, from that thread: Vote on software features/bugs to fix in 7.1 and beyond - Page 11

Feature Requests.png

The ability to set a departure time was the fifth most requested feature.

The ability to set a departure time was the fifth most requested feature.

But we all know on-line polls can be deceptive since they only sample like minded individuals, at least when it comes to using this Tesla forum. To be clear, I'm not saying we all think alike, except to the extent that we all have thought very much alike when it comes to coming here, registering, and participating in the poll you have referenced. Looking at it from that angle, the poll participants are a very tiny minority when it comes to Tesla owners and they are also, perhaps, the type of people that like to be able to control things, including the ability to set a departure time, whereas the vast majority of Tesla owners perhaps couldn't care less about it.

A true poll on this issue would be a random sample of Tesla owners, just large enough to give a reasonable margin of error. Maybe it would still be the 5th most requested feature, but maybe not. One thing is for certain though, citing an on-line poll as something that applies to the vast majority of Tesla owners is not proving your point.

A true poll on this issue would be a random sample of Tesla owners, just large enough to give a reasonable margin of error. Maybe it would still be the 5th most requested feature, but maybe not. One thing is for certain though, citing an on-line poll as something that applies to the vast majority of Tesla owners is not proving your point.

Fair enough.

But without any other information available would you agree that it's fair to say that it appears to be a feature that many owners want?

Sorry for being a newbie here (and I haven't read all 9 pages of thread), but am I getting this straight that you can't set TOU times or "charge complete by X" times with a Tesla?

My Volt has this capability (which I use all the time to stay within my "super-off peak rates") so I am surprised to read that Tesla doesn't offer this?

Sorry for being a newbie here (and I haven't read all 9 pages of thread), but am I getting this straight that you can't set TOU times or "charge complete by X" times with a Tesla?
Right now the only thing you can set is the start time. I don't doubt that some future firmware upgrade will add this feature, but there's no telling when it might appear. Having said that, it's pretty easy to know how long your charging takes and to set the timer appropriately so that it ends within the best TOU. It helps if you have an HPWC because you can charge at 80 amps.

Eh, the Leaf has has start timers in addition to departure timers since day one... it is a bit odd that Tesla doesn't have departure timers or manually configurable preconditioning timers (another thing that the Leaf has). I mean, the smart preconditioning is there but it's pretty useless.

Either way, I never made use of the departure timers in the Leaf so I'm not complaining. It would be nice to have a manually configurable preconditioning timer, like the Leaf, though.

But we all know on-line polls can be deceptive since they only sample like minded individuals, at least when it comes to using this Tesla forum. To be clear, I'm not saying we all think alike, except to the extent that we all have thought very much alike when it comes to coming here, registering, and participating in the poll you have referenced. Looking at it from that angle, the poll participants are a very tiny minority when it comes to Tesla owners and they are also, perhaps, the type of people that like to be able to control things, including the ability to set a departure time, whereas the vast majority of Tesla owners perhaps couldn't care less about it.

Agree. Statistically inconclusive. The members of this forum are a decidedly tech-biased group, many of which have prior EV experience. I believe the people who frequent here are more likely to want broader options and controls, and option to do it the way they did in their leaf or volt or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, luckily for those of us that want and need the feature, it would seem you are in the minority.
I think I'm the lucky one here, because the feature is not there, and I'm perfectly happy to not have it.

Eh, the Leaf has has start timers in addition to departure timers since day one... it is a bit odd that Tesla doesn't have departure timers or manually configurable preconditioning timers (another thing that the Leaf has). I mean, the smart preconditioning is there but it's pretty useless.

Either way, I never made use of the departure timers in the Leaf so I'm not complaining. It would be nice to have a manually configurable preconditioning timer, like the Leaf, though.
We use the departure timers in the Leaf, but you have to remember that the Leaf's pack is pretty small and really has only two charging rates (32 amps and 16 amps) so the error factor is small.

We use the start time on the S all the time and it works quite well. The complications I see with departure time charging on the S is that you can set the charge rate, the S may lower the charge rate during a charge, warmup time before charging, and the battery is far larger so issues that may be insignificant in a Leaf, are material in an S. There's a host of complications that the Leaf doesn't have.

So now that we have it does anyone know if it works? I saw some rumors that it might charge up two hours earlier than departing time. That won't work for me if I'm leaving on a trip and want to go to 100%. :/

The feature currently allows you to tell it to finish charging by a time of your choosing, but no later than 6am (although I and many others have had our cars sleep through this and not charge at all), and separately, to warm up or cool down the cabin by the same time of your choosing (although I and many others have had our cars fail to do this, even after charging until 6am). As a result, if your departure time is earlier than ~6:30am, the feature might be usable, but I personally wouldn't trust it if I regularly needed more than ~40% charge for my day's driving. If you leave any later, you'll end up with insufficient regen because even if it charged, the battery has cooled back down, and your cabin may or may not be habitable.

Every time I open the app on my phone it says "There is a new version of a better route planner. Reload to install?" I click yes and the screen blinks out for not even half a second and blinks back on to where it was, which is my plan. What's going on and how do I update? Going to the app and play store shows no updates.

Every time I open the app on my phone it says "There is a new version of a better route planner. Reload to install?" I click yes and the screen blinks out for not even half a second and blinks back on to where it was, which is my plan. What's going on and how do I update? Going to the app and play store shows no updates.
It is a website, not an app. Clicking reload instantly loads the latest changes. Some of the changes may be small and not immediately noticeable. Other changes are more obvious. Last week, I noticed right away when I received the new version notification and then saw the Abstract Ocean logo show up, indicating they were helping sponsor the site.