Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can Tesla do rain sensing on AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why didn't they do a test before removing the normal cheap sensor! :(
The answer is simple, Elon always thinks he knows better and nobody dares to question him. He did the very similar thing with BSM - he thought he knew better even though there were tried and working solutions in the industry, he figured he can use ultrasonic sensors instead - well he was wrong, they are nowhere near as reliable as standard radar based BSM you can find in other guys entry level cars.

Reactions: Farzinfar
The answer is simple, Elon always thinks he knows better and nobody dares to question him. He did the very similar thing with BSM - he thought he knew better even though there were tried and working solutions in the industry, he figured he can use ultrasonic sensors instead - well he was wrong, they are nowhere near as reliable as standard radar based BSM you can find in other guys entry level cars.

Even more similar than that, BSM on AP2 will eventually be rear repeater camera based. Yeah it works in theory, but wake me up 3 leases from now when I expect that to actually happen....

@lunitiks: Yes, I don't know you but I think I am getting to know you better.

Firstly I did not say that you would diasgree to death. What I said was:
farzinfar said:
I don't think people would disagree with me to death
I never said or even suggested that it was you who was going to disagree to death! I simply said "people"

However, you did say the following:

Well, your opinion will be disagreed to death by a lot of people.

And for any average reader, when you make such a strong statement, you imply your own agreement to the statement otherwise why would you want to use it in first place. ;)

Anyway looking forward to knowing you and all other members better in due course. :)

And wish me luck with my AP2 rain sensor which is still annoying! :(

Cheers

Last edited:
@alehbaba: Yes you are right. This is the whole point of this discussion. Tesla removed normal infrared rain sensor in favour of camera in the new version in hope to use the camera to sense or see! the rain and activate the wipers. Apparently they have not been successful using the camera and our discussion was that Tesla had to keep the infrared sensor while working on the camera abilities.

Thanks anyway for your contribution.